Al Ahly have defeated Kenyan side Prisons 3-0 in the quarter-finals of the African...
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
Aswan retract decision to forfeit league
Aswan SC board went back on their decision to forfeit the Egyptian Premier League after the conclusion of the competition’s first round.
Club chairman Hassan Abdel-Kader announced earlier on Thursday that his club will forfeit the league due to failing to fulfill their financial commitments.
“I announce that we [Aswan] are withdrawing from participating in the league. We are completely ignored from all the country’s officials,” Abdel-Kader told ONTV channel.
“We can’t fulfill any of our financial commitments and everyone is escaping the responsibility. We are forfeiting because of the tough financial crisis we have been through during the previous period,” he added.
Later on Thursday, the board decided to continue the league after the minister of youth and sports Khaled Abdel-Aziz promised to provide the club with the needed financial support.
Despite the minister’s promise, the club announced on their Facebook page launching a donation campaign to support the team.
“The club will start accepting donations amid the officials’ negligence for the club’s financial problems,” the Facebook post read.
The club’s withdrawal statements coincided with the team’s 1-0 victory over Ittihad of Alexandria in the gameweek 18 on Thursday. The team currently occupy the eleventh position in the league standings with 22 points, after five wins, seven draws and six defeats.
The newly-promoted team will play away against Zamalek 18 February.