Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Aswan retract decision to forfeit league
Aswan SC board went back on their decision to forfeit the Egyptian Premier League after the conclusion of the competition’s first round.
Club chairman Hassan Abdel-Kader announced earlier on Thursday that his club will forfeit the league due to failing to fulfill their financial commitments.
“I announce that we [Aswan] are withdrawing from participating in the league. We are completely ignored from all the country’s officials,” Abdel-Kader told ONTV channel.
“We can’t fulfill any of our financial commitments and everyone is escaping the responsibility. We are forfeiting because of the tough financial crisis we have been through during the previous period,” he added.
Later on Thursday, the board decided to continue the league after the minister of youth and sports Khaled Abdel-Aziz promised to provide the club with the needed financial support.
Despite the minister’s promise, the club announced on their Facebook page launching a donation campaign to support the team.
“The club will start accepting donations amid the officials’ negligence for the club’s financial problems,” the Facebook post read.
The club’s withdrawal statements coincided with the team’s 1-0 victory over Ittihad of Alexandria in the gameweek 18 on Thursday. The team currently occupy the eleventh position in the league standings with 22 points, after five wins, seven draws and six defeats.
The newly-promoted team will play away against Zamalek 18 February.