KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Zambia laments the death of Olympics team coach Simukonda
Zambia mourns the death of their Olympic football team coach Fighton Simukonda who passed after an unsuccessful battle with diabetes.
Simukonda was diagnosed with his illness after returning from the Under 23 African Cup of Nations tournament in Senegal which served as their qualifying entry to the 2016 Rio Olympics.
The Dream Team from Nigeria emerged as winners of the 2015 edition of the Under 23 AFCON and Zambia were knocked out in the first round after losses to Tunisia and the Amagluglug of South Africa. Winners Nigeria, runners-up Algeria and third place playoff winners South Africa will represent Africa at Rio 2016 Olympics mens football.
At the time of his passing, Simukonda was the manager of the Under 23 Zambian team and also top-tier side Nchanga Rangers. He previously led the country’s league reigning champions Zesco United to the 2009 CAF Champions League group stages in 2009. At national team level, Simukonda led the Chipolopolo boys to the 1998 Cosafa regional triumph.