Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
VIDEO: Zamalek beat Aswan, edge closer to Al Ahly
Bassem Morsi finally managed to score after 200 days of failing to get his name on the scoresheet for Zamalek in the Egyptian Premier League.
Zamalek XI: Mahmoud Gennesh; Ahmed Dweidar, Hazem Emam, Hamada Tolba; Ahmed Tawfik, Mohamed Kofi, Ayman Hefny, Morouf Youssef, Omar Gaber; Kahraba, Bassem Morsi.
Aswan XI: Mahmoud Reda, Ibrahim El-Kady, Ahmed Abd El-Aziz, Amir Abed, Bassem Eid, Ibrahim El-Shayeb, Abd Allah Farouk, Mohamed El-Fayoumi, Mohamed Rizk, Eric Traore, Ehab El-Masry.
Zamalek’s players started the match with extra motivation, following Al Ahly’s draw against Ghazl El-Mahalla earlier on Thursday.
In the 23rd minute, Bassem Morsi made good use of Omar Gaber’s cross and his shot hit the back of Aswan’s net for what was ultimately the winning goal.
Emad El-Nahhas’ men tried to find a way back into the match, but Kofi and his defensive teammates were alert enough to prevent any significant danger on Genneh’s goal.
Kahraba could have made it 2-0 before the break, but his shot was brilliantly saved by Reda.
Ehab El-Masry was persistent in his attempts to score an equalising goal, but was having a hard time testing Gennesh.
In the 63rd minute, El-Masry’s header was diverted just past the post and his side were awarded a corner.
Zamalek new-boy Mayuka came on in the 68th minute and came close to doubling Zamalek’s lead, but his shot was off-target.
El-Masry once again posed a threat to Zamalek’s goalkeeper after good work from a teammate, but Gennesh kept his ground.
The hosts held out for the final few minutes to clinch an important win and edge closer to Al Ahly at the top of the table. Aswan, meanwhile, sit in 12th place with 22 points from 19 matches.