Ghana Football Association’s technical director Francis Oti Akenteng has spoken about their...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
VIDEO: Mayuka and Kahraba score to help Zamalek pile pressure on Al Ahly
Zamalek earned a tough victory against Ittihad of Alexandria, closing the gap at the top of the league to boost their title hopes.
Zamalek’s Ayman Hefny delivered an outstanding performance, as the player registered two assists that saw Emmanuel Mayuka and Mahmoud Kaharaba convert to seal the victory against Ittihad at Petrosport.
Zamalek XI: Genesh; Tolba, Koffi, Dweidar, Hazem; Tawfik, Gaber, Moruf; Hefny, Kahraba, Mayuka.
Ittihad of Alexandria XI: Soliman; Samir, Nabil, Bazooka, Farouk; Ashour El-Adham, Hany Said, Kabonga; Obama, El- Alfy, Herman.
Emmanuel Mayuka kicked-off the match by scoring in the seventh minute, which saw the player scoring his first goal since his move to Zamalek’s last January. Former Whites player Ashour El-Adham canceled their lead by scoring a magnificent equalizer in the 21st minute for Ittihad of Alexandria.
Kaharaba did have another say in the game after he converted Ayman Hefny’s through pass with a shot into the net at the end of the first half.
In the second half, Zamalek tried to expand their lead with Kahraba trying to get a brace, but his his was denied due to Nabil’s goal-line clearance.
Ittihad of Alexandria were pushing forward trying to score an equalizer and threatened Genesh. Herman skipped past Zamalek defender Koffi, to only hit the bar instead of scoring.
Zamalek-loanee Youssef Obama had also threatened Genesh with a superb header, but the keeper managed to keep his team leading with a great save in the last ten minutes.
Zamalek tried to expand their lead again in another missed chance by Bassem Morsy as it looked promising in the 85th minute after Moruf’s excellent work with the ball, but Bassem didn’t manage to finish this superb chance.
Earning the three points moves the team to 38 points and keeps them in the second place two points behind Al Ahly [who have a match in hand], while Ittihad of Alexandria have collected 22 points in the 13th place.
It is also believed that Hamada Tolba is suspended for Zamalek’s next game, due to registering his third yellow card.