Ifeanyi Ubah owner, Dr. Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah has resealed a statement, criticising...
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
Amro El Geziry wins gold at modern pentathlon World Cup
El Geziry, who had never won a World Cup event before, claimed the title with total points of 1478. Hungarian Ádám Marosi came second, while French Valentin Belaud finished third.
The Egyptian champion finished first after dominating the leaderboards in all competitions. He took the lead in the swimming event with a time of 1:55.89, before earning 24 victories in his 35 fencing bouts.
The world No.5 enjoyed a clear round in the riding arena, which gave him a 34-second lead from second-placed Woongtae Jun ahead of the combined running and shooting competition.
“I am so happy, no words could describe it. It’s my first gold medal and it has happened in my home country. You can see the crowd… I’m just so happy,” El Geziry, 29, told UIPM official website.
“After my last shoot, when I only missed one, I thought ‘that’s it’ because I knew nobody could make that time up on me. I was really confident that I would be OK.
“Everybody was cheering, and it was amazing. It was one of the best moments of my life,” he added.
Thirty-six players have qualified to the final rounds, before El Geziry, who has previously competed at the 2008 and the 2012 Summer Olympics, secured the gold medal.
This tournament is considered the first event of the four big competitions in the game. The points collected by the players during the competition help the players improve their world rankings, which act as one of the qualification methods for the 2016 Rio Olympics.