An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
Africa to host IAAF Diamond League meet
Rabat, Morocco, has been chosen as the new meet venue for the Diamond League in 2016. It will be the first time Africa hosts the event.
The IAAF Diamond League will be hosted in Africa for the first time in 2016. Moroccan capital, Rabat will get the honours of hosting the prestigious Athletics meeting.
The decision was reached, on 2nd March, by the General Assembly of the Diamond League Meeting in Zurich, Switzerland.
Rabat will host the event at the refurbished Complexe Prince Moulay Abdellah. The city replaces New York in the Diamond League calendar.
Sebastian Coe, IAAF President and Chairman of Diamond League AG, commented, “We thank New York for contributing to this great project during the last six seasons and know that they will continue to support Athletics in the future. We proudly welcome Rabat.”
Rabat applied for membership in 2014 and has undergone a rigorous evaluation process. Between that time and announcement of the hosting, it hosted the FIFA Club World Cup.
Abdeslam Ahizoune, FRMA President Meeting Director Rabat, said “This is a proud moment for our country’s athletics community and for the international reputation of Moroccan sport in general. The inclusion of our meeting in the IAAF Diamond League is a clear affirmation of the ability of our country to deliver the highest international standard sports product.”
The IAAF Diamond League was launched in 2009. It involves athletes competing in different disciplines in 14 one-day meets across the World. Previously, only Asian, European and North American cities hosted the meetings.
Rabat’s meet will be held in May 2016.