Egypt’s Mohamed Safwat was knocked out of Dubai Tennis Championships from the first...
- Monfils eliminates Safwat from Dubai Tennis Championships
- Ahmed Elmohamady: Everything has changed at Hull City
- Al Ahly announce stadium for Bidvest Wits clash
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
SWIMMING: Ali Khalafalla qualifies for Rio Olympics
Egyptian swimmer Ali Khalafalla has won the Bronze medal in the Men’s 50 metre freestyle race at the 2016 Arena Pro Series in Orlando to seal a spot at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
Khalafalla finished the race in 3rd place, posting a time of 22.25 seconds. The Egyptian finished behind American Nathan Adrian who won the race, posting a time of 21.70 seconds. In 2nd place was another American, Caeleb Dressel, who finished ahead of Khalafalla with a time 22.06, slightly off the mark of his SCY record of 18.23, which he posted last month.
It is also worth noting that the race, which was crucial for Khalafalla, has seen the Egyptian break a record in the process, posting the fastest time by an Egyptian since 1995 with his 22.25 second lap.
It remains to be seen how the Egyptian will perform on the international stage at the Olympics, with the result giving Khalafalla automatic qualification to this years Olympic Games, to be held in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil in August.