Zamalek goalkeeper Mahmoud Abdel-Rahim Gennesh expressed his happiness after first national team call-up...
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
TENNIS: Egypt lose to Belarus in Davis Cup
The Egyptian national team lead by Karim Maamoun had a shaky start as Maamoun lost the first singles match 2-6, 3-6, 1-6 to llya Ivashka. World No.273, Mohamed Safwat, lost to Egor Gerasimov 7-5, 0-6, 6-3, 6-7(3), 5-7 in the second singles match to make it 2-0 for the Belorussians.
In the doubles match, 18-year old and African champion Youssef Hossam paired up with Mohamed Safwat and defeated Alexander Bury and Egor Gerasimov 7-6(7), 4-6, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 to pull one back for the Pharaohs.
In the final singles match Safwat faced Gerasimov and lost 7-6(2), 5-7, 5-7, 4-6 for the Belorussians to face Latvia in the second round from 15-17 July.
Egypt is set to face Monaco in the relegation play-off from 15-17 July as well.