Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
TENNIS: Egypt lose to Belarus in Davis Cup
Egypt lost 1:3 to Belarus in the first round of the Europe/Africa Zone in the 2016 Davis Cup being played in El Gezira club in Egypt.
The Egyptian national team lead by Karim Maamoun had a shaky start as Maamoun lost the first singles match 2-6, 3-6, 1-6 to llya Ivashka. World No.273, Mohamed Safwat, lost to Egor Gerasimov 7-5, 0-6, 6-3, 6-7(3), 5-7 in the second singles match to make it 2-0 for the Belorussians.
In the doubles match, 18-year old and African champion Youssef Hossam paired up with Mohamed Safwat and defeated Alexander Bury and Egor Gerasimov 7-6(7), 4-6, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 to pull one back for the Pharaohs.
In the final singles match Safwat faced Gerasimov and lost 7-6(2), 5-7, 5-7, 4-6 for the Belorussians to face Latvia in the second round from 15-17 July.
Egypt is set to face Monaco in the relegation play-off from 15-17 July as well.