History is not ruling out Zamalek yet, as it is up to...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
Real Madrid knock Salah’s Roma out of Champions League
After his brace against his former club, Fiorentina, Salah did not manage to find Keylor Navas’ net. Roma showed quality against the dominating Real Madrid, and were a big threat in the counter attacks.
The first half was filled with many opportunities from both sides with great performances from both goalkeepers.
In the 7th minute, Gareth Bale exchanged the ball with Marcelo before shooting wide. Four minutes later, Cristiano Ronaldo’s free-kick in a dangerous area outside the box blazed high and wide.
The Giallorossi’s first threat came from Egypt’s Mohamed Salah, after he zipped through Sergio Ramos and Luka Modric, passing the ball to Edin Džeko, who shot the ball wide. In the 21st minute, Croatia’s Luka Modric unleashed a superb shot, but Szczesny saved well.
Il Faraone Mohamed Salah was very close to scoring in the 28th minute after a great pass from Džeko, but the 23-year-old’s shot hit the outside of the net. Salah came close again before the end of the first half with a left-footed volley from inside the box; however, his shot lacked power and was saved by Navas.
The first half ended with a goalless scoreline, but great quality from both teams.
The Giallorossi entered the second half aiming to at least score and raise their hopes for the quarter-finals. It was very close to happening from Salah, who in the 51st minute missed a historic sitter, after a one-on-one with Navas; yet, his shot rolled past the post.
10 minutes later, Roma were punished for the many chances they missed when Ronaldo opened the scoreline, after a great cross from Lucas Vazquez, hitting the ball into Szczesny’s net. Seven minutes later, the Giallorossi’s hopes collapsed after James Rodriguez doubled the score with a wonderful shot that nutmegged Szczesny.
Roma did not give up and tried to score many times. They were very close in the 81st minute, after a wonderful cross from Mohamed Salah to Diego Perotti, who volleyed the ball but unluckily hit the woodwork.
Roma are now going to focus on their league hopes as they are set to face Udinese next Sunday after winning their last seven games.