Wadi Degla coach, Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, took a throw back on his...
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
Official: Ittihad of Alexandria sack Portuguese manager Leonel Pontes, hire Mokhtar Mokhtar
Ittihad of Alexandria head coach Leonel Pontes’ time has come to an end in Alexandria, with the club confirming Mokhtar Mokhtar has been hired in place of the Portuguese manager.
Ittihad of Alexandria lost 2-1 against Dakhleya in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian Premier League, the club’s seventh defeat in a row – leaving them just two positions above the relegation zone.
Following Monday’s match, Ittihad’s sporting director Walid Salah El-Din confirmed reports suggesting the departure of Leonel Pontes, claiming that the club were already holding meetings for a possible replacement.
“The departure of Pontes is imminent,” Salah El-Din said. “The board is holding meetings in order to discuss possible replacements, and it is expected to reveal the departure in the coming hours,” he added
Portuguese coach Pontes hit back at the club after the match, claiming: “Ittihad of Alexandria’s board have manipulated me.”
On the other hand, Ittihad of Alexandria’s executive manager Gasser Mounir revealed that the club were trying to sort out a mutual agreement with Pontes on terminating his contract, and a meeting was held on Tuesday.
Hours later, the club announced the appointment of Egyptian coach Mokhtar Mokhar, who’s previously coached the likes of Ghazl El-Mahalla, Petrojet, ENPPI and more recently Al Masry.
Ittihad of Alexandria are currently 14th in the league with 22 points, after seven consecutive defeats.