Egyptian International Mohamed Abdelshafy returned to Al Ahli’s lineup as they beat...
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
Hossam Paolo: I hoped for an Egypt chance
Smouha striker Hossam Salama ‘Paolo’ has revealed that he was hoping for a national team call-up, and talked up his chances of finishing as the league’s top scorer yet again.
Hossam Paolo, who scored the only goal in his side’s narrow 1-0 victory against ENPPI on Monday, currently leads the scoring charts with 11 goals to his name.
The win propelled Smouha into fifth place in the Egyptian Premier League table, behind Al Ahly, Zamalek, Al Masry and Ismaily.
Speaking to TV channel ONTV, Paolo said, “I wish I’d gotten the chance to join the national team recently, even if it were just for the training camp and not actual matches. However, it’s the technical staff’s decision and I respect it.”
“I hope the national team returns to its former glories and makes Egyptians happy by winning the African Cup of Nations.”
“I was the league’s top scorer last season – with 20 goals – and I’ll achieve the prize against with the help of my teammates, whom I’d like to thank, but our main aim is a top-four finish,” he continued.
“I waited after the end of last season for someone from the Egyptian Football Association to at least call and congratulate me, but that never happened. Magdi Abdel-Ghani, president of the Egyptian Professional Footballers Association, hosted a celebration and recognized my achievement, and I am really grateful for that,” he concluded.
Smouha host Ittihad El-Shorta on Monday, as they aim to continue their prolonged run of good form.