Egyptian locals national team and Hany Ramzy face a tough period ahead as...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Hossam Paolo: I hoped for an Egypt chance
Smouha striker Hossam Salama ‘Paolo’ has revealed that he was hoping for a national team call-up, and talked up his chances of finishing as the league’s top scorer yet again.
Hossam Paolo, who scored the only goal in his side’s narrow 1-0 victory against ENPPI on Monday, currently leads the scoring charts with 11 goals to his name.
Speaking to TV channel ONTV, Paolo said, “I wish I’d gotten the chance to join the national team recently, even if it were just for the training camp and not actual matches. However, it’s the technical staff’s decision and I respect it.”
“I hope the national team returns to its former glories and makes Egyptians happy by winning the African Cup of Nations.”
“I was the league’s top scorer last season – with 20 goals – and I’ll achieve the prize against with the help of my teammates, whom I’d like to thank, but our main aim is a top-four finish,” he continued.
“I waited after the end of last season for someone from the Egyptian Football Association to at least call and congratulate me, but that never happened. Magdi Abdel-Ghani, president of the Egyptian Professional Footballers Association, hosted a celebration and recognized my achievement, and I am really grateful for that,” he concluded.
Smouha host Ittihad El-Shorta on Monday, as they aim to continue their prolonged run of good form.