Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’ was injured as Ittihad Jeddah beat Al Hilal 2-0 in...
- Kahraba injured as Ittihad defeat Hilal in Saudi Derby
- Aly Ghazal impresses as Nacional hold Sporting in Madeira
- INTERVIEW | Ahmad Fahmy – Fantasy Premier League’s current number one overall
- Ghana FA vice president announces readiness of Ayew and Asamoah for Egypt clash
- Mouscron coach: Trezeguet most talented player in our team
- Fabio Petruzzi: Salah added value to Roma
- Ghana’s David Accam confident of beating Egypt
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
Hossam Paolo: I hoped for an Egypt chance
Smouha striker Hossam Salama ‘Paolo’ has revealed that he was hoping for a national team call-up, and talked up his chances of finishing as the league’s top scorer yet again.
Hossam Paolo, who scored the only goal in his side’s narrow 1-0 victory against ENPPI on Monday, currently leads the scoring charts with 11 goals to his name.
The win propelled Smouha into fifth place in the Egyptian Premier League table, behind Al Ahly, Zamalek, Al Masry and Ismaily.
Speaking to TV channel ONTV, Paolo said, “I wish I’d gotten the chance to join the national team recently, even if it were just for the training camp and not actual matches. However, it’s the technical staff’s decision and I respect it.”
“I hope the national team returns to its former glories and makes Egyptians happy by winning the African Cup of Nations.”
“I was the league’s top scorer last season – with 20 goals – and I’ll achieve the prize against with the help of my teammates, whom I’d like to thank, but our main aim is a top-four finish,” he continued.
“I waited after the end of last season for someone from the Egyptian Football Association to at least call and congratulate me, but that never happened. Magdi Abdel-Ghani, president of the Egyptian Professional Footballers Association, hosted a celebration and recognized my achievement, and I am really grateful for that,” he concluded.
Smouha host Ittihad El-Shorta on Monday, as they aim to continue their prolonged run of good form.