KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
Hossam Paolo: I hoped for an Egypt chance
Smouha striker Hossam Salama ‘Paolo’ has revealed that he was hoping for a national team call-up, and talked up his chances of finishing as the league’s top scorer yet again.
Hossam Paolo, who scored the only goal in his side’s narrow 1-0 victory against ENPPI on Monday, currently leads the scoring charts with 11 goals to his name.
Speaking to TV channel ONTV, Paolo said, “I wish I’d gotten the chance to join the national team recently, even if it were just for the training camp and not actual matches. However, it’s the technical staff’s decision and I respect it.”
“I hope the national team returns to its former glories and makes Egyptians happy by winning the African Cup of Nations.”
“I was the league’s top scorer last season – with 20 goals – and I’ll achieve the prize against with the help of my teammates, whom I’d like to thank, but our main aim is a top-four finish,” he continued.
“I waited after the end of last season for someone from the Egyptian Football Association to at least call and congratulate me, but that never happened. Magdi Abdel-Ghani, president of the Egyptian Professional Footballers Association, hosted a celebration and recognized my achievement, and I am really grateful for that,” he concluded.
Smouha host Ittihad El-Shorta on Monday, as they aim to continue their prolonged run of good form.