Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Former Premier League managers Jol, McLeish set to make African Champions League debuts
Jol will kick off his continental campaign with 8-time champions Al Ahly visiting Angola for a second round clash with Recreativo Libolo on Saturday, while 5-time champions Zamalek flew to Cameroon to take on Union Douala on Sunday.
The former Premier League managers both got wins in their last matches with their respective new teams in the Egyptian Premier League, with McLeish leading his side to a 2-0 win over Arab Contractors while Jol’s men defeated Misr El-Maqassa 2-1 on his debut.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) March 4, 2016
Al Ahly are facing a bit of a crisis in the goalkeeping department with first choice Sherif Ekramy out of the squad due to injury while Mosaad Awad was unable to complete training on Friday after picking up a ‘mild bruise’, leaving the club with just one fully fit goalkeeper.
Meanwhile, Zamalek will be without their top scorer in Cameroon, Egypt international Mahmoud Kahraba.
Both teams will look to improve on their continental stints from last season after Zamalek made the CAF Confederations Cup semi-finals before being eliminated by Tunisian side and eventual champions Etoile Du Sahel, while Ahly also made the semi-finals of Africa’s secondary competition before also being eliminated by runners-up Orlando Pirates of South Africa.