Argentina and Barcelona legend Lionel Messi is set to visit Egypt on...
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
- AS Roma star Mohamed Salah: I’m happy to be back
- Talaat Youssef leads Al-Ahli Tripoli to CAF Champions League round of 32
- Egypt opponents Mali announce U-20 AFCON squad
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
Former Premier League managers Jol, McLeish set to make African Champions League debuts
Jol will kick off his continental campaign with 8-time champions Al Ahly visiting Angola for a second round clash with Recreativo Libolo on Saturday, while 5-time champions Zamalek flew to Cameroon to take on Union Douala on Sunday.
The former Premier League managers both got wins in their last matches with their respective new teams in the Egyptian Premier League, with McLeish leading his side to a 2-0 win over Arab Contractors while Jol’s men defeated Misr El-Maqassa 2-1 on his debut.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) March 4, 2016
Al Ahly are facing a bit of a crisis in the goalkeeping department with first choice Sherif Ekramy out of the squad due to injury while Mosaad Awad was unable to complete training on Friday after picking up a ‘mild bruise’, leaving the club with just one fully fit goalkeeper.
Both teams will look to improve on their continental stints from last season after Zamalek made the CAF Confederations Cup semi-finals before being eliminated by Tunisian side and eventual champions Etoile Du Sahel, while Ahly also made the semi-finals of Africa’s secondary competition before also being eliminated by runners-up Orlando Pirates of South Africa.