Egypt international Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim Kahraba scored a brace as Al-Ittihad beat Al-Ettifaq...
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores brace as Ittihad thrash Ettifaq
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
- OFFICIAL: Gabon appoint Jose Camacho as new manager
- Mahmoud Fayez: Salah will be fit in time for AFCON
- SQUASH: Egyptian women take world’s top three spots for first time in history
- SQUASH: Egypt beat USA to reach WWTC semi-finals
- Ahmed Gafaar excluded from Zamalek’s squad against El-Dakhleya
- Salah out for three weeks with an ankle injury
- Wim De Coninck believes Trezeguet must return to Anderlecht
- Egypt features in list of referees for 2017 AFCON
Karim Hafez features as Omonia fall to derby defeat
Egyptian defender Karim Hafez played 90 minutes as Omonia suffered a 2-1 loss to city rivals APOEL, in their second match of the Cypriot League championship round.
Hafez, who celebrates his 20th birthday today, had helped his side secure their first win in the championship round against Anorthosis ahead of their third derby this season.
APOEL also came into the derby on the back of a win after defeating Nea Salamis in their first game.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) March 12, 2016
It was the visitors who took the lead; Luciano Bebe cut inside on his right foot to shoot as his effort found the back of APOEL’s net in the 35th minute.
Three minutes before the end of the first half, Zhivko Milanov’s low cross was met by Georgios Efrem, whose finish pulled the hosts back on level terms.
Both teams push more in the second half searching for their second successive win but they fail to translate their chances into goals.
Six minutes before the end of the game, Vander Vieira scored a late winner for the hosts; Thomas De Vincenti’s powerful shot hit the post, and the Brazilian winger scored from the rebound to secure APOEL’s second win over their rivals this season.
The win keeps APOEL at the top of the championship table with 65 points, while Omonia dropped into fourth with 52 points and eight games to go.
Omonia visit sixth-placed Nea Salamis next Saturday.