Egypt international Sam Morsy scored as Wigan claimed a 2-1 victory over...
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
Siasia looking for Ighalo goals against Egypt after strike at Arsenal
Super Eagles boss Samson Siasia has praised Nigeria forward Odion Ighalo after he regained his scoring form against FA Cup holders Arsenal and inspiring his team to knock out the Gunners in the quarter-finals.
The 26-year-old Nigerian won the Man-of-the-Match award after his outstanding performance on Sunday against a helpless Arsenal side.
Ighalo scored his side’s first in the 50th minute before his Algerian teammate Adnan Gedioura doubled the Hornets’ lead 13 minutes later. Danny Welbeck scored the consolation goal in the 88th minute but it was too late for the Gunners to equalize.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) March 13, 2016
Samson Siasia contacted Ighalo before the game to wish him good luck and was a happy man when one of his star players played a huge role in ousting Arsene Wenger’s side out of the Cup.
The Nigerian head coach spoke with SportingLife after the game and was hopeful Odion Ighalo would repeat what he did against Arsenal in Kaduna and Alexandria when the Super Eagles face Egypt for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
“I am very happy that Odion (Ighalo) is back to his best and started scoring again. I told you guys that this can happen to any player and that when the goals starts pouring in again it will continue,” Siasia said.
Ighalo previously brushed off worries regarding his goal scoring drought, confirming that the he will soon be back to scoring ways again.
“I like the goal Odion scored and I am hopeful that he can replicate this scoring form when he comes home for the Africa Cup of Nations’ qualifiers against Egypt in Kaduna and away in Alexandria,” Siasia concluded.