Egypt international Ahmed Hamoudi scored to help Al-Batin secure a 1-1 home...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
Sofiane Boufal chooses to represent Morocco
Lille attacking midfielder Sofiane Boufal has decided to represent Morocco at international level, the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) announced on Monday.
The French-born player joined Angers SCO youth team B during 2012 and was later promoted to their senior team. During the 2014/2015 season, he scored four goals, helping Angers SCO to get promoted to Ligue 1.
In January 2015, Boufal joined Lille and quickly became a fan favorite as he scored 12 goals in 45 appearances for the Ligue 1 team.
The chairman of the Moroccan Football Federation Fouzi Lekjaa and the recently appointed national team manager Hervé Renard have managed to convince the 22-year-old player to represent Morocco, according to the FRMF official website.
Boufal has previously played under the leadership of Renard, when the French manager coached Lille between May and November 2015.
Renard has formally called the player to join Morocco’s squad ahead of the team’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifying double-header against Cape Verde on March 26 and 29.
The two national teams top the (AFCON) qualification Group F, on six points each. The group also includes Libya and São Tomé and Príncipe, who failed to collect any points from two matches.
Last week, Moroccan-Dutch forward Oussama Tannane, who plays for Ligue 1 side Saint-Étienne, also decided to represent the Moroccan national team.