KingFut covers all the action as Egypt take on Mali in their...
- LIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
Sofiane Boufal chooses to represent Morocco
Lille attacking midfielder Sofiane Boufal has decided to represent Morocco at international level, the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) announced on Monday.
The French-born player joined Angers SCO youth team B during 2012 and was later promoted to their senior team. During the 2014/2015 season, he scored four goals, helping Angers SCO to get promoted to Ligue 1.
In January 2015, Boufal joined Lille and quickly became a fan favorite as he scored 12 goals in 45 appearances for the Ligue 1 team.
The chairman of the Moroccan Football Federation Fouzi Lekjaa and the recently appointed national team manager Hervé Renard have managed to convince the 22-year-old player to represent Morocco, according to the FRMF official website.
Boufal has previously played under the leadership of Renard, when the French manager coached Lille between May and November 2015.
Renard has formally called the player to join Morocco’s squad ahead of the team’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifying double-header against Cape Verde on March 26 and 29.
The two national teams top the (AFCON) qualification Group F, on six points each. The group also includes Libya and São Tomé and Príncipe, who failed to collect any points from two matches.
Last week, Moroccan-Dutch forward Oussama Tannane, who plays for Ligue 1 side Saint-Étienne, also decided to represent the Moroccan national team.