Mohamed Salah scored a brace for his Roma side, who comfortably handled...
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
Egypt U17s split pair of friendlies with Algeria
The Egyptian Under-17 national team split a pair of friendlies with its Algerian counterpart this past week with each side notching a win, as both sides prepare for the 2017 Africa U-17 Cup of Nations qualifiers this summer.
The Egyptian Under-17 side, coached by Amro Anwar, emerged victorious in the first match on Friday, played at the Algerian FA’s National Technical Center in Sidi Moussa, with a 1-0 win. The lone goal of the encounter was scored by Hazem Fergheli in the opening minute of the match, with neither side able to find the net after that.
In the second match, yesterday at the Baraki Stadium, the young Pharaohs were on the wrong end of a 2-1 result. The Algerians scored two goals in the first half through the Paradou AC duo of Merouane Zerrouki and Hocine Dehiri, before Farouk Hamada reduced the deficit ten minutes into the second half.
Despite being given a bye to the second round of qualifiers, Amro Anwar’s side will have a difficult task ahead if they hope to advance to the final tournament, which is scheduled for next April in Madagascar. In the second round, which will be played in August, they will face Ethiopia in a pair of home-away matches. If they do advance, the Young Pharaohs will likely cross paths with Mali, who finished as runner-up’s at the last edition of the U17 World Cup in Chile.
The top four teams from the 2017 Africa U-17 Cup of Nations qualify for the 2017 FIFA World Cup, which will be hosted by India for the first time.