Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Egypt U17s split pair of friendlies with Algeria
The Egyptian Under-17 national team split a pair of friendlies with its Algerian counterpart this past week with each side notching a win, as both sides prepare for the 2017 Africa U-17 Cup of Nations qualifiers this summer.
The Egyptian Under-17 side, coached by Amro Anwar, emerged victorious in the first match on Friday, played at the Algerian FA’s National Technical Center in Sidi Moussa, with a 1-0 win. The lone goal of the encounter was scored by Hazem Fergheli in the opening minute of the match, with neither side able to find the net after that.
In the second match, yesterday at the Baraki Stadium, the young Pharaohs were on the wrong end of a 2-1 result. The Algerians scored two goals in the first half through the Paradou AC duo of Merouane Zerrouki and Hocine Dehiri, before Farouk Hamada reduced the deficit ten minutes into the second half.
Despite being given a bye to the second round of qualifiers, Amro Anwar’s side will have a difficult task ahead if they hope to advance to the final tournament, which is scheduled for next April in Madagascar. In the second round, which will be played in August, they will face Ethiopia in a pair of home-away matches. If they do advance, the Young Pharaohs will likely cross paths with Mali, who finished as runner-up’s at the last edition of the U17 World Cup in Chile.
The top four teams from the 2017 Africa U-17 Cup of Nations qualify for the 2017 FIFA World Cup, which will be hosted by India for the first time.