Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha was nominated for the CAF 2016 Referee of...
- Gerisha nominated for CAF Best Referee of the Year Award
- Sobhi nominated for Most Promising Talent
- Zamalek nominated for CAF Club of the Year award
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores as Al Ittihad come back to defeat Al Faisaly
- De Sciglio: Roma will be dangerous despite missing Mohamed Salah
- Elmohamady features in thrilling 3-3 draw against Crystal Palace
- Sobhi features, with Elneny an unused substitute in Arsenal’s 3-1 win
- Barnsley narrowly defeat Norwich
- Karim Hafez features in Lens’ 3-1 defeat to Strasbourg
- Elneny: The past 11 months have been the best of my life
Xavi on Elneny: He deserves to be playing in Europe
Spanish veteran midfielder Xavi Hernandez commented on Arsenal’s Mohamed Elneny in an interview with BeIN Sports following Arsenal’s 3-1 defeat to FC Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League.
The former FC Barcelona captain sealed a move to Qatari club Al Sadd last summer following a 17-year stint with the Catalan club’s first team.
The 23-year-old Egypt midfielder scored Arsenal‘s only goal in their 5-1 aggregate defeat to FC Barcelon, which knocked them out of the Champions League.
The world and two-time European champion confirmed that he was following Elneny at FC Basel, before the Egyptian’s move to London-based club Arsenal, and pointed out Elneny’s improved form.
“I remember when he [Elneny] played at Basel and put in good performance, but now his performances are solid and very good, allowing him to play in top European football,” he said.
The 35-year-old then pointed out the increase in number and quality of Arab footballer in Europe before mentioning the reason that took him to Qatar: “There are many Arab stars in Europe producing stellar performances and Elneny is one of them, and I’m here to help talents grow.”
This is not the first time Xavi talks about Arab footballers as he once labeled Mohamed About-Treika and Mohamed Zidan as the best Arab footballers in history. He also exclusively told KingFut that he believes that Mohamed Salah is the most popular Egyptian footballer.