Egypt secured maximum points through a late strike from Abdallah El-Said, who...
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
- Salah speaks about youth, idols
- Mohamed Salah: “Our group is tough, but we are Egypt”
- Official: Egypt’s Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ joins Nacional on loan from Lierse
Xavi on Elneny: He deserves to be playing in Europe
Spanish veteran midfielder Xavi Hernandez commented on Arsenal’s Mohamed Elneny in an interview with BeIN Sports following Arsenal’s 3-1 defeat to FC Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League.
The former FC Barcelona captain sealed a move to Qatari club Al Sadd last summer following a 17-year stint with the Catalan club’s first team.
The 23-year-old Egypt midfielder scored Arsenal‘s only goal in their 5-1 aggregate defeat to FC Barcelon, which knocked them out of the Champions League.
The world and two-time European champion confirmed that he was following Elneny at FC Basel, before the Egyptian’s move to London-based club Arsenal, and pointed out Elneny’s improved form.
“I remember when he [Elneny] played at Basel and put in good performance, but now his performances are solid and very good, allowing him to play in top European football,” he said.
The 35-year-old then pointed out the increase in number and quality of Arab footballer in Europe before mentioning the reason that took him to Qatar: “There are many Arab stars in Europe producing stellar performances and Elneny is one of them, and I’m here to help talents grow.”
This is not the first time Xavi talks about Arab footballers as he once labeled Mohamed About-Treika and Mohamed Zidan as the best Arab footballers in history. He also exclusively told KingFut that he believes that Mohamed Salah is the most popular Egyptian footballer.