In the pre-match conference, Mali’s U20 head coach Baye Ba states that...
- Mali U20 coach: We aim to win our match against Egypt
- Ibrahim Hassan scores from the spot as Ismaily draws with El-Gaish
- Elneny: I didn’t believe the Arsenal negotiations
- Mamdouh and Zein feature in Pays d’Aix cup win
- SQUASH: 10 Egyptians advance to second round of Windy City Open
- We are not afraid of Zamalek, says Enugu Rangers chief
- Pioli answers: Will Salah be key man for Roma against Inter?
- HANDBALL: Ahly beats Zamalek in league encounter
- VIDEO: Hossam Paulo scores as Zamalek down Nasr Lel Ta’adeen
- Mido: Gent was special for me, English football suited me
VIDEO: Zamalek through to last 16 after defeating Douala
Zamalek have qualified to the round of 16 of the 2016 CAF Champions League, after defeating Union Douala 2-0 at Petrosport Stadium on Saturday.
The White Knights defeated the Cameroonian side 1-0 away, before winning 2-0 in Cairo, thanks to goals from Mahmoud Kahraba and Ahmed Tawfik.
Zamalek XI: Ahmed El-Shennawy; Ahmed Dweidar, Omar Gaber, Mohamed Koffi, Hamada Tolba; Mahmoud Abdel-Razek ‘Shikabala, Muruf Yusuf, Ayman Hefny, Tarek Hamed; Emmanuel Mayuka, Mahmoud Kahraba.
Zamalek had their first dangerous chance in the 10th minute, when Ayman Hefny crossed the ball to Kahraba in front of the goal, but the latter’s shot was easily saved by the keeper.
In the 19th minute, Hefny made another attempt as he sent a shot from distance, but it went over the bar.
Two minutes later, Doula’s keeper fell to the ground after a clash with Kahraba as Omar Gaber tried to chip him centimeters away from the half-way line.
The 24th minute witnessed the first chance for the Cameroonian team, but Douala’s striker shot went wide.
Kahraba opened the scoring in the 26th minute from 18 yards out. Shikabala sent a pass that managed to split Union Doula’s defence, for Kahraba to send the ball into the net.
Zamalek almost doubled their lead one minute later, but Mayuka failed to convert a superb cross from Shikabala.
Three minutes into the second half, Ayman Hefny was close to scoring after he dribbled past Union Douala’s defence. The keeper however easily caught his cross.
Kahraba almost completed his brace in the 60th minute, but his second goal was disallowed as the referee waved offside.
Douala controlled the possession for a while, but failed to create any dangerous opportunities. Meanwhile, Zamalek failed to capitalise on counter-attacks to score a second goal.
Twenty minutes to full time, Moruf Yusuf broke the offside trap, but his shot went over the bar.
In the dying minutes of the game, Ahmed Tawfik scored Zamalek a second goal, after collecting the rebound from Bassem Morsi’s shot, placing the ball into the back of the net.