Al Ahly coach Hossam El-Badry gave a hint regarding the team’s next...
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
Contractors, Maqassa knocked out of Cup by second-division sides
Three-time Egypt Cup winner Arab Contractors lost to second-tier Al Merreikh 3-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw. The latter, a Port Said-based team, have gone to qualify for the round of 16.
The game remained goalless until late in the second half, when Ramy Adel opened the scoring for the Contractors in the 82nd minute. However, Merreikh managed to equalize in stoppage time sending the game to a penalty shoot-out. Merreikh players clearly didn’t feel the nerves as the lower division team won 5-3.
Former Zamalek striker Mostafa Gaafar scored the game’s only goal in the 33rd minute. Gaafar took advantage of the keeper’s mistake to score a header. The Fayoum-based club failed to score an equalizer only to get knocked out of the Cup.
The two giant-killing second division teams will now meet in the round of 16 of the Cup. The winner of FC Masr and Merreikh will qualify to the tournament’s quarter-finals.