Ghanaian midfielder Sulley Muntari returns to Italy after completing a deal to...
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
Contractors, Maqassa knocked out of Cup by second-division sides
Three-time Egypt Cup winner Arab Contractors lost to second-tier Al Merreikh 3-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw. The latter, a Port Said-based team, have gone to qualify for the round of 16.
The game remained goalless until late in the second half, when Ramy Adel opened the scoring for the Contractors in the 82nd minute. However, Merreikh managed to equalize in stoppage time sending the game to a penalty shoot-out. Merreikh players clearly didn’t feel the nerves as the lower division team won 5-3.
Former Zamalek striker Mostafa Gaafar scored the game’s only goal in the 33rd minute. Gaafar took advantage of the keeper’s mistake to score a header. The Fayoum-based club failed to score an equalizer only to get knocked out of the Cup.
The two giant-killing second division teams will now meet in the round of 16 of the Cup. The winner of FC Masr and Merreikh will qualify to the tournament’s quarter-finals.