Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Contractors, Maqassa knocked out of Cup by second-division sides
Three-time Egypt Cup winner Arab Contractors lost to second-tier Al Merreikh 3-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw. The latter, a Port Said-based team, have gone to qualify for the round of 16.
The game remained goalless until late in the second half, when Ramy Adel opened the scoring for the Contractors in the 82nd minute. However, Merreikh managed to equalize in stoppage time sending the game to a penalty shoot-out. Merreikh players clearly didn’t feel the nerves as the lower division team won 5-3.
Former Zamalek striker Mostafa Gaafar scored the game’s only goal in the 33rd minute. Gaafar took advantage of the keeper’s mistake to score a header. The Fayoum-based club failed to score an equalizer only to get knocked out of the Cup.
The two giant-killing second division teams will now meet in the round of 16 of the Cup. The winner of FC Masr and Merreikh will qualify to the tournament’s quarter-finals.