Former Tottenham Hotspur striker Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’ has given an outrageous vow...
- Mido gives outrageous vow if Zamalek win CAF Champions League
- Zamalek’s Ibrahim Salah believes nothing is impossible ahead of final showdown
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley finally end winless streak
- Mohamed Elneny features in Arsenal’s goalless draw with Middlesbrough
- RC Lens dominated at home but earn draw against Reims
- Pitso: We can go to the match without training
- Billiat lauds Pitso Mosimane’s methods ahead of Zamalek tie
- Sundowns’ keeper Onyango on Zamalek clash: It’s not done yet
- Emmanuel Amuneke open to managing Zamalek
- EXCLUSIVE | CAF reveal stance from Sundowns training venue problems
Contractors, Maqassa knocked out of Cup by second-division sides
Three-time Egypt Cup winner Arab Contractors lost to second-tier Al Merreikh 3-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw. The latter, a Port Said-based team, have gone to qualify for the round of 16.
The game remained goalless until late in the second half, when Ramy Adel opened the scoring for the Contractors in the 82nd minute. However, Merreikh managed to equalize in stoppage time sending the game to a penalty shoot-out. Merreikh players clearly didn’t feel the nerves as the lower division team won 5-3.
FC Masr also managed to eliminate Maqassa, who currently occupy the 7th position in the Egyptian Premier League, after a 1-0 win.
Former Zamalek striker Mostafa Gaafar scored the game’s only goal in the 33rd minute. Gaafar took advantage of the keeper’s mistake to score a header. The Fayoum-based club failed to score an equalizer only to get knocked out of the Cup.
The two giant-killing second division teams will now meet in the round of 16 of the Cup. The winner of FC Masr and Merreikh will qualify to the tournament’s quarter-finals.