Al Ahly handball team managed to qualify for Egypt Cup semi-finals after...
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
- Mido: Emad Meteb would be welcomed at Wadi Degla
- Alain Giresse’s agent confirms Zamalek negotiations
- VIDEO: Egypt win 3-0 after a convincing performance against Togo
- Zamalek youngster Ahmed Aboul-Fetouh signs five-year contract extension
- Al Ahly’s Ahmed Adel: Ekramy is the best goalkeeper in Egypt
- Cuper offers advice to Roma star Salah
Contractors, Maqassa knocked out of Cup by second-division sides
Three-time Egypt Cup winner Arab Contractors lost to second-tier Al Merreikh 3-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw. The latter, a Port Said-based team, have gone to qualify for the round of 16.
The game remained goalless until late in the second half, when Ramy Adel opened the scoring for the Contractors in the 82nd minute. However, Merreikh managed to equalize in stoppage time sending the game to a penalty shoot-out. Merreikh players clearly didn’t feel the nerves as the lower division team won 5-3.
Former Zamalek striker Mostafa Gaafar scored the game’s only goal in the 33rd minute. Gaafar took advantage of the keeper’s mistake to score a header. The Fayoum-based club failed to score an equalizer only to get knocked out of the Cup.
The two giant-killing second division teams will now meet in the round of 16 of the Cup. The winner of FC Masr and Merreikh will qualify to the tournament’s quarter-finals.