Zamalek goalkeeper Mahmoud Abdel-Rahim Gennesh expressed his happiness after first national team call-up...
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
El Shaarawy embraces Egypt link as he eyes Euro 2016 call up
His comments came in an interview inquiring about his anticipation for Euro 2016. The AS Roma forward is part of Italy’s squad for this month’s friendly fixtures against Spain and Germany. He expects to be called up by Antonio Conte to represent the Azzurri in France.
Speaking to the official website of the Italian Football Federation, El Shaarawy said, “It’s the dream of every player certainly to join the list of the first Italian team. It takes a focused mentality and high appetite to achieve. Skill alone is not enough.”
On his Egyptian background the 23-year-old said, “I have visited all the places in Egypt and I was greatly impressed, not only because of the scenic and rich history but also because of the great hospitality that I met when I visited my father’s family, and I am very much linked to Egypt for this reason.”
El Shaarawy concluded by mentioning his move to AS Roma. “My goal now is presence in Conte’s team to the Euro. I decided to join Roma in January for a radical change in my career in order to achieve this goal.”
The striker has 17 caps for the Italian national team; finding the net on two occasions.