Egypt’s Minister of Sports Khaled Abdel-Aziz has officially approved on Sunday the...
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
- Handball: Al Ahly win Africa Cup Winners’ Cup Championship
- Gaber starts in thrilling 2-2 draw against Vaduz
- Ramadan Sobhi’s Stoke fall 2-0 to Swansea City
- 10-man Hull City cruise past Watford with ease
- Wadi Degla women crowned Egypt Cup champions
Chad announce withdrawal from AFCON qualification
Chad’s governing football body sent an official email on Sunday morning to CAF, announcing their withdrawal from the 2017 African Cup Of Nations qualification.
According to the letter (shown below) the Fédération Tchadienne de Football have announced the country’s withdrawal from qualification for the 2017 AFCON in Gabon, citing financial dificulties.
Chad were part of Group G, alongside Egypt, Nigeria and Tanzania. Withdrawal would mean their results against all three teams would be discarded with just one team qualifying to the finals in Gabon next year. As such, Egypt would be first with four points, ahead of Nigeria (two points) and Tanzania (one point) respectively.
The leaders of all 13 groups qualify automatically to the tournament finals with the top two second-placed teams joining them, as well as hosts Gabon.
If Chad’s withdrawal goes through, Egypt can qualify for Gabon with a win against Nigeria on Tuesday in Alexandria.