Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Chad announce withdrawal from AFCON qualification
Chad’s governing football body sent an official email on Sunday morning to CAF, announcing their withdrawal from the 2017 African Cup Of Nations qualification.
According to the letter (shown below) the Fédération Tchadienne de Football have announced the country’s withdrawal from qualification for the 2017 AFCON in Gabon, citing financial dificulties.
Chad were part of Group G, alongside Egypt, Nigeria and Tanzania. Withdrawal would mean their results against all three teams would be discarded with just one team qualifying to the finals in Gabon next year. As such, Egypt would be first with four points, ahead of Nigeria (two points) and Tanzania (one point) respectively.
The leaders of all 13 groups qualify automatically to the tournament finals with the top two second-placed teams joining them, as well as hosts Gabon.
If Chad’s withdrawal goes through, Egypt can qualify for Gabon with a win against Nigeria on Tuesday in Alexandria.