Al Ahly have defeated Kenyan side Prisons 3-0 in the quarter-finals of the African...
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
Héctor Cúper: I am proud of my players
Following Chad’s withdrawal from the qualification phase, only the winner of the group would be allowed to qualify from Group G.
Hector Cúper spoke in the press conference after the match.
“I am very happy that we are on the verge of qualification to the African Cup of Nations. I am especially proud of managing this group of players who fought on the pitch for 90 minutes to secure the win for Egypt,” said Cúper.
The Egypt manager also highlighted the difference in performance between the first and second half.
“We played very well in the first half. The second half was not as good as the first, but that normally happens when you come against a tough opponent like Nigeria. We threatened the Nigerian goal with many counter-attacks, but were unlucky to finish them. We also could have easily conceded a goal during the match.
Despite his form at club level with Braga in Portgual, Cúper also spoke about excluding Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ from the match squad.
“Hassan is a very good player, but I only choose players based on what I need in the match at hand. Tactically, I did not need Koka today.
“We should all be happy now that we are on the verge of qualification although we know that we made a lot of mistakes that we will work on fixing in the upcoming period,” the Argentine manager concluded.