Elneny was an usused substitute for Arsenal, while Ramadan Sobhi featured for...
- Sobhi features, with Elneny an unused substitute in Arsenal’s 3-1 win
- Barnsley narrowly defeat Norwich
- Karim Hafez features in Lens’ 3-1 defeat to Strasbourg
- Elneny: The past 11 months have been the best of my life
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli edge Al Raed
- Al Masry see off Petrojet to continue winning streak
- Patrick Malo: Burkina Faso a good team, I am fine at Smouha
- Klopp confirms Joel Matip will not be going to AFCON
- FIFA announces bans on various African football officials
- Trezeguet’s Royal Mouscron appoint Mircea Rednic as manager
Héctor Cúper: I am proud of my players
Egypt manager Hector Cúper has expressed his happiness after Egypt secured three points against Nigeria and moved much closer to securing qualification to the African Cup of Nations.
Following Chad’s withdrawal from the qualification phase, only the winner of the group would be allowed to qualify from Group G.
Hector Cúper spoke in the press conference after the match.
“I am very happy that we are on the verge of qualification to the African Cup of Nations. I am especially proud of managing this group of players who fought on the pitch for 90 minutes to secure the win for Egypt,” said Cúper.
The Egypt manager also highlighted the difference in performance between the first and second half.
“We played very well in the first half. The second half was not as good as the first, but that normally happens when you come against a tough opponent like Nigeria. We threatened the Nigerian goal with many counter-attacks, but were unlucky to finish them. We also could have easily conceded a goal during the match.
Despite his form at club level with Braga in Portgual, Cúper also spoke about excluding Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ from the match squad.
“Hassan is a very good player, but I only choose players based on what I need in the match at hand. Tactically, I did not need Koka today.
“We should all be happy now that we are on the verge of qualification although we know that we made a lot of mistakes that we will work on fixing in the upcoming period,” the Argentine manager concluded.