Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Volleyball: El-Gaish beat Esperance to claim ACC title
Cairo-based Tala’a El-Gaish beat Tunisia’s Esperance 3-1 in the 2016 Men’s African Club Championship, hosted in Egypt, to clinch the volleyball title for the first time in the club’s history.
Tala’a El-Gaish were the underdogs of the tournament as they made their way to the final, defeating Libya’s Swehly 3-1 in the semi-finals, before defeating four-time African champions Esperance, who knocked out 11-time champions Al Ahly in the quarter-finals.
El-Gaish showed great character going into their second ever final and were able to outclass Esperance in the first set 25-20. The seven-time finalists fought back in the second set and were able to tie the score 1-1 after winning 23-25.
The Egyptian club was able to seal the championship win after winning the third and fourth sets 27-25 and 25-21 in front of many Egyptian spectators at the Cairo Stadium complex.
After winning the ACC, El-Gaish will represent Africa in the 2016 Club World Championship with FIVB yet to announce the host country.