Egypt international Sam Morsy scored as Wigan claimed a 2-1 victory over...
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
Gourcuff steps down as Algeria national team manager
Christian Gourcuff has departed from his post as Algerian national team manager, with the Algerian Football Federation confirming rumours which had been circulating over the past few days with an official statement on Sunday.
The French coach Christian Gourcuff has quit his job and will leave with immediate effect. He will not oversee the teams match against Seychelles in Matchday five of the 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifiers. The match will be played on the weekend of 3-5 June, 2016.
The 60-year-old Frenchman had previously been requested to stay on as the Desert Foxes’ coach. He wanted to leave due to a perceived lack of support from the Algerian public.
According to sources close to the Algerian Football Federation, Gourcuff notified Algerian Football Federation president Mohamed Raouraoua of his decision. Raouraoua requested him to stay to give Algeria room to identify a suitable successor.
— Les Verts d'Algérie (@LesVerts) April 3, 2016
Rumours began to surface after the Frenchman failed to accompany the team back to Algeria instead opting to head to France following the 3-3 draw against Ethiopia on matchday four of the 2017 CAF African Cup of Nations Qualifiers.
Gourcuff was appointed in August 2014 and led the team at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations. His Algerian side, dubbed favourites, were knocked out in the quarter-finals. Nabil Neghiz, who was assistant coach whilst Gourcuff was in charge, will take over as manager on a caretaker basis whilst the Algerian Football Federation finds a suitable replacement.