Egypt beach soccer team manager Ahmed Abdel-Razek announced the squad travelling to...
- Four Egyptians to play in FA Cup Third Round
- Abdel-Wahed El-Sayed snubbed from Beach AFCON Egypt squad
- The Scout: An Egyptian talent that joined ISIS
- PHOTOS: Zamalek inform EFA of their decision to forfeit the league
- Mohamed Sanad’s La Rioja qualify to play-offs in Champions League
- Ibrahim Nour El-Dein: I did not hesitate to rule this penalty
- Mansour: Zamalek won’t continue the league
- Late Ekramy heroics seal crucial win for Ahly over Maqassa
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
Gourcuff steps down as Algeria national team manager
Christian Gourcuff has departed from his post as Algerian national team manager, with the Algerian Football Federation confirming rumours which had been circulating over the past few days with an official statement on Sunday.
The French coach Christian Gourcuff has quit his job and will leave with immediate effect. He will not oversee the teams match against Seychelles in Matchday five of the 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifiers. The match will be played on the weekend of 3-5 June, 2016.
The 60-year-old Frenchman had previously been requested to stay on as the Desert Foxes’ coach. He wanted to leave due to a perceived lack of support from the Algerian public.
According to sources close to the Algerian Football Federation, Gourcuff notified Algerian Football Federation president Mohamed Raouraoua of his decision. Raouraoua requested him to stay to give Algeria room to identify a suitable successor.
— Les Verts d'Algérie (@LesVerts) April 3, 2016
Rumours began to surface after the Frenchman failed to accompany the team back to Algeria instead opting to head to France following the 3-3 draw against Ethiopia on matchday four of the 2017 CAF African Cup of Nations Qualifiers.
Gourcuff was appointed in August 2014 and led the team at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations. His Algerian side, dubbed favourites, were knocked out in the quarter-finals. Nabil Neghiz, who was assistant coach whilst Gourcuff was in charge, will take over as manager on a caretaker basis whilst the Algerian Football Federation finds a suitable replacement.