Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Saleh Gomaa excluded as Al Ahly announce squad for Young Africans
Al Ahly manager Martin Jol announced the 22-man squad that will be facing Tanzania’s Young Africans in the first leg of the CAF Champions League round of 16 on Saturday.
The Dutch manager excluded defender Mohamed Naguib, midfielder Saleh Gomaa and Ahmed Hamdy from the team’s squad set to travel to Tanzania on Tuesday, due to technical reasons.
In addition, Al Ahly left-back Hussein El-Sayed will miss the game due to military service procedures.
Al Ahly squad:
Goalkeepers: Sherif Ekramy, Ahmed Adel and Mosaad Awad.
Defenders: Ahmed Fathi, Bassem Ali, Mohamed Hani, Saad Samir, Rami Rabia, Ahmed Hagazy and Sabry Rahil.
Midfielders: Hossam Ghaly, Hossam Ashour, Amr El-Sulaya, Ahmed El-Sheikh, Walid Soliman, Momen Zakaria, Ramadan Sobhy and Abdallah El-Said.
Forwards: Malick Evouna, Amr Gamal, John Antwi and Emad Meteb.
Young Africans chose April 9 to host Egyptian giants Al Ahly in the first leg. The return leg will be played ten days later in Cairo.
Al Ahly made it to the round of 16 after defeating Recreativo of Angola 2-0 on aggregate, while Young Africans went through after beating Rwanda’s APR FC 3-2 on aggregate.
The Red Devils have previously defeated the Tanzanian side on penalties in 2014. The game ended 1–1 on aggregate, before Al Ahly won the penalty shoot-out and advanced to the CAF Champions League round of 16.