Zamalek goalkeeper Mahmoud Abdel-Rahim Gennesh expressed his happiness after first national team call-up...
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
Saleh Gomaa excluded as Al Ahly announce squad for Young Africans
Al Ahly manager Martin Jol announced the 22-man squad that will be facing Tanzania’s Young Africans in the first leg of the CAF Champions League round of 16 on Saturday.
The Dutch manager excluded defender Mohamed Naguib, midfielder Saleh Gomaa and Ahmed Hamdy from the team’s squad set to travel to Tanzania on Tuesday, due to technical reasons.
In addition, Al Ahly left-back Hussein El-Sayed will miss the game due to military service procedures.
Al Ahly squad:
Goalkeepers: Sherif Ekramy, Ahmed Adel and Mosaad Awad.
Defenders: Ahmed Fathi, Bassem Ali, Mohamed Hani, Saad Samir, Rami Rabia, Ahmed Hagazy and Sabry Rahil.
Midfielders: Hossam Ghaly, Hossam Ashour, Amr El-Sulaya, Ahmed El-Sheikh, Walid Soliman, Momen Zakaria, Ramadan Sobhy and Abdallah El-Said.
Forwards: Malick Evouna, Amr Gamal, John Antwi and Emad Meteb.
Young Africans chose April 9 to host Egyptian giants Al Ahly in the first leg. The return leg will be played ten days later in Cairo.
Al Ahly made it to the round of 16 after defeating Recreativo of Angola 2-0 on aggregate, while Young Africans went through after beating Rwanda’s APR FC 3-2 on aggregate.
The Red Devils have previously defeated the Tanzanian side on penalties in 2014. The game ended 1–1 on aggregate, before Al Ahly won the penalty shoot-out and advanced to the CAF Champions League round of 16.