Roma grabbed a fantastic 3-1 away win over Inter Milan at the...
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
- EFA announce date for Arab Club Championship draw
- Al Ahly and Wadi Degla fined following league match controversy
- Karim Nedved confirms receiving an offer from La Liga club
- Elmohamady plays full 90 minutes as Hull draw with Burnley
VIDEO: Banahene downs Zamalek at Petrosport Stadium
Zamalek XI: Ahmed El Shennawy; Omar Gaber, Ali Gabr, Mohamed Koffi, Hamada Tolba; Tarek Hamed, Moruf Yousef, Mohamed Ibrahim, Ayman Hefny, Shikabala; Mayuka
Ismaily XI: Mohamed Sobhy; Bahaa Magdy, Shawky El-Said, Islam Gamal, Saad Hosni; Omar El-Wahsh, Mohamed Fathi, Ahmed Samir, Torric Jebren; Banehene, Marwan Mohsen
As expected, the much awaited match of the round between the White Knights and the Dervishes was no defensive match as Zamalek started threatening Ismaily’s goal as early as the 9th minute. Mohamed Ibrahim’s pass found Mohamed Koffi inside the box but Koffi’s shot went way over the bar.
After a superb run from Mohamed Ibrahim in the 13th minute, Ibrahim passed Shikabala the ball from inside the box but Ismaily defenders cleared the ball before it reached the Apache.
Twenty minutes later, Banehene scored the first goal of the night for Ismaily. Banehene slotted in Ahmed Samir’s low cross from the left flank as it missed all Zamalek defenders to reach him around the six yards box.
Two minutes before half time, Mohamed Ibrahim squared the ball to Hamada Tolba but Sobhy did well to save Tolba’s powerful shot.
Although scoring the only goal, Ismaliy were being dominated by the Whites in most of the first half.
In the 55th minute Mohamed Ibrahim crossed in a foul from the very left side of the box for Ali Gabr to latch onto it but his header went over the bar from point-blank range.
In the early seconds of added time Ayman Hefny received the ball on the edge of the box and cleverly turned to face the goal to shoot but he failed to hit the target.
After a one-two pass between Mayuka and Hefny the ball reached the latter for him to miss his shot from inside the six yard box in the dying seconds of the game, wasting Zamalek’s last chance to equalize.
This is the 7th time in history that Ismaily defeats Zamalek home and away as Ismaily won 1-0 in the first leg courtesy of Zamalek’s loaned player Islam Gamal in Mido’s short reign with the Whites.
This win bumped Ismaily from 11th place to 7th place while leaving Zamalek nine points behind league leaders Al Ahly.