Egypt international Sam Morsy scored as Wigan claimed a 2-1 victory over...
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
Wigan move step closer to promotion with win over Coventry City
The Latics moved a step closer to promotion as they now top the league table on 80 points, four points clear of second-placed Burton Albion and 10 points ahead of third-placed Bradford.
Despite getting several scoring opportunities, both teams failed to score in the first half. Coventry had several attempts that Wigan’s defense managed to clear, while the hosts lacked accuracy in their final touch.
Three minutes to the one-hour mark, Will Grigg gave Wigan the lead by converting Stephen Warnock’s cross into the net, scoring his 20th league goal of the season.
Grigg failed to complete his brace and double Wigan’s lead as Coventry City’s keeper Reice Charles-Cook saved his penalty in the 66th minute.
The game ended 1-0, allowing the Latics to claim all three points and extend their unbeaten run to 20 games.
Wigan are scheduled to play away against Doncaster Rovers, who are on the brink of relegation, on April 16. The Latics need to achieve two more victories out of their five remaining games to secure a spot in the Championship next season.