Côte d’Ivoire international Gervinho is set to miss the 2017 CAF Africa Cup...
- Gervinho to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
- Elneny plays full 90 in comfortable Arsenal win against Reading in EFL cup
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
- Aubameyang, Mahrez included in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist
- Mortada Mansour: Momen Soliman was better than Sundowns coach
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
Wigan move step closer to promotion with win over Coventry City
The Latics moved a step closer to promotion as they now top the league table on 80 points, four points clear of second-placed Burton Albion and 10 points ahead of third-placed Bradford.
Despite getting several scoring opportunities, both teams failed to score in the first half. Coventry had several attempts that Wigan’s defense managed to clear, while the hosts lacked accuracy in their final touch.
Three minutes to the one-hour mark, Will Grigg gave Wigan the lead by converting Stephen Warnock’s cross into the net, scoring his 20th league goal of the season.
Grigg failed to complete his brace and double Wigan’s lead as Coventry City’s keeper Reice Charles-Cook saved his penalty in the 66th minute.
The game ended 1-0, allowing the Latics to claim all three points and extend their unbeaten run to 20 games.
Wigan are scheduled to play away against Doncaster Rovers, who are on the brink of relegation, on April 16. The Latics need to achieve two more victories out of their five remaining games to secure a spot in the Championship next season.