KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Zamalek ease past MO Bejaïa, edge closer to group stage
Béjaïa, currently second in the Ligue 1 standings behind runaway leaders USM Alger, came into the match in high spirits, especially after knocking out Tunisian giants Club African in the previous round.
Zamalek XI: Shennawy; Gaber, Tolba, Dweidar, Kofi; Hamed, Moruf, Hefny; Hazem Emam, Mo. Ibrahim, Kahraba
Zamalek came close to taking an early lead through Mahmoud Abdel-Moniem ‘Kahraba’, but the attacker’s shot was saved by the goalkeeper.
Ahmed El-Shennawy was present to preserve his side’s clean sheet in the 32nd minute, following a Hamada Tolba defensive lapse.
Ayman Hefny was particularly enjoying himself in the middle of the park, and after going into the half-time break on level terms, Zamalek broke the deadlock just seven minutes into the second interval through Kahraba.
Eight minutes from the final whistle, Ahmed Hamoudi fired a first-time effort into the back of the net to double the Whites’ lead and secure all three points.
The win sets up Zamalek nicely ahead of the return leg in Béjaïa in ten days’ time, and the Algerians’ failure to net an away goal will likely cost them should Zamalek find a way past Rahmani away from home.