The goal-line referees was tested for the first time in Egypt during...
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
- Cuper: Qualifying to the World Cup was always our number one goal
- CAF secretary general Hicham El Amrani resigns
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
Arsene Wenger: Elneny has had a big impact
After failing in their quest to win the league title this season, it is expected that the Gunners boss will be active this summer.
Arsene Wenger admitted that he doesn’t expect a huge overhaul, insisting that the team’s structure is very good. He also confirmed that the Gunners will be gunning to strength their squad in certain areas, if the right players are available.
After only signing Petr Cech in the summer, Arsenal was recorded as the only team to not add an outfield player to their squad. But that has changed in January, as Arsene Wenger added Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny.
Arsene Wenger revealed, “If you look now at the top three, you see that the top three teams have not changed their team a lot.”
“We have to strengthen our squad. But despite the money the English clubs will have, it’s not obvious to find the players who will strengthen the squad. We will of course work very hard to do that, and we are already working, but we have to find the players. It’s not easy,” The Arsenal boss concluded.
Wenger also talked about Mohamed Elneny and Alex Iwobi’s impact. “I will judge Elneny until the end of the season, but what is for sure is that he’s had a big impact – much bigger than expected,” he said.
“Usually a guy who comes in, it takes him a few months to adapt. And Elneny and Iwobi I think they had a big impact recently in the quality of our game,” the Frenchman revealed.
Arsenal’s manager also insisted that the emergence of the Francis Coquelin, Mohamed Elneny and Alex Iwobi will be put into consideration during the summer transfer window.
“You cannot dismiss that players like Iwobi is 19 years of age, Elneny 23, Francis Coquelin 24. They will be stronger. You need anyway to keep a core of players and strengthen where we can. But the team is going the right way,” Wenger added.
Finally, Wenger insists that Arsenal will fight until the end to reach the exceptional Leicester City and win the title.
“It’s, at the moment, a bit difficult for us to accept that we were not completely there. But you have as well to accept that Leicester lost three games until now. It is exceptional. And they lost two games against us. … Barcelona has lost four, Real Madrid five, and Leicester three,” Wenger concluded.