KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Roma discuss Salah situation ahead of Regeni campaign
The Italian parliament’s human rights committee has launched a campaign aimed at revealing the truth behind the death of Giulio Regeni, where all Italian teams are to walk out on the pitch with “Truth for Giulio” banners in protest of the death of the Italian Student in Egypt.
News reports have suggested that Roma demanded to be exempted from the campaign set to take place in the 35th gameweek of the league, in order to protect their Egyptian starlet Mohamed Salah from any embarrassment or criticism.
In addition, FIFA Executive Committee member Hany Abou-Rida announced that Roma would refrain from participating in the campaign. Sabatini however confirmed Roma’s support for the initiative, while asserting that they will protect Salah.
“Roma fully support those initiatives, because we share the general feeling about the Regeni case,” Sabatini told Mediaset Premium.
“There is an ongoing kind of manipulation on behalf of Salah, who didn’t do anything wrong.
“He will not be improperly involved in these situations because he is a good guy and we’ll be alert to protect him,” he concluded.
Roma are set for an important encounter with Napoli on the day of the protests.