Alexandrian Smouha SC was stunned by a fifth ACL injury this season...
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli thrash El Jaish in Asia
After losing their last three matches, Al Ahli were desperate for a win that would save them from exiting the competition early on.
Winger Islam Seraj put Al Ahli into the lead after 22 minutes; El Jaish’s defense failed to deal with Fetfatzidis’ corner, and Seraj found no difficulty in scoring the first goal of the match.
The visitors then doubled their lead seconds before the half-time whistle through Mohaned Asiri, who found the back of the net after yet another corner.
Six minutes into the second half, El Jaish managed to pull one back through Moroccan striker Abderrazak Hamdallah, but any hopes of a comeback were immediately extinguished; just one minute later, Al Ahli restored their two-goal advantage as Moataz Hawsawi added his name to the scoresheet.
Seraj then popped up again just before the hour-mark to score his second goal, effectively sealing the win for his team.
In the last minute of the game, Al Ahli were awarded a penalty and El-Jaish were reduced to 10 men following Yasser Abou Bakr’s dismissal, but Asiri failed to bury his effort and rub salt into the hosts’ wounds.
The win lifts Al Ahli into third place with six points, one point behind second-placed Al Ain. Christian Gross’ men are set to face El Jaish again in Jeddah, in the last round of the group stages, and the Royals will be aiming to beat the Qatari side as they attempt to leapfrog Al Ain into the final qualification spot.