Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’ scored once as Al Ittihad overcame a one-goal deficit...
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores as Al Ittihad come back to defeat Al Faisaly
- De Sciglio: Roma will be dangerous despite missing Mohamed Salah
- Elmohamady features in thrilling 3-3 draw against Crystal Palace
- Sobhi features, with Elneny an unused substitute in Arsenal’s 3-1 win
- Barnsley narrowly defeat Norwich
- Karim Hafez features in Lens’ 3-1 defeat to Strasbourg
- Elneny: The past 11 months have been the best of my life
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli edge Al Raed
- Al Masry see off Petrojet to continue winning streak
- Patrick Malo: Burkina Faso a good team, I am fine at Smouha
VIDEO: Abdel-Shafy seals Saudi league title with Al Ahli
The triumph marks Al Ahli’s third league title and their first in 32 years, with their last win being in 1984.
The Egyptian left-back, who joined the Saudi side from Zamalek on a permanent deal in 2015, has played the full 90 minutes on Sunday.
Al Hilal opened the scoring early in the game as Carlos Eduardo scored in the 10th minute. The hosts failed to equalise as the first half ended 1-0 for the Riyadh-based team.
One minute into the second half, Omar Al-Soma leveled the scoreline. He completed his brace four minutes later, giving his side a 2-1 lead. The Syrian striker currently tops the league’s top scorer list with 22 goals.
Ten minutes to full time, Al Hilal had to see their mission become even tougher when midfielder Saud Kariri was sent off the field after receiving his second yellow card.
Hussein Al Moghawi sealed the win for the Jeddah-based team as he scored a third in the injury time.
Al Ahli were announced champions two rounds before the end of the league, as they currently top the standings on 56 points, six points clear of their contenders Al Hilal.
Even if Al Hilal won their next two games, while Al Ahli lost theirs, they would remain first due to their head-to-head record; Al Ahli won away 2-1, before clinching a 3-1 victory at home.