Egypt national team left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy will not be able to play in...
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
Elneny features in goalless draw against Sunderland
Mohamed Elneny featured in his side’s goalless draw away to Sunderland, as Arsenal all but mathematically dropped out the title race.
The Gunners dropped points for the second time in a week, as they failed to find a way past a resilient Sunderland defence.
Arsenal XI: Cech, Bellerin, Koscienly, Mertsacker, Monreal; Elneny, Ramsey, Ozil; Iwobi, Sanchez, Giroud
Sunderland XI: Manone; Yediin, Kone, Kaboul, Aanholt; Kirchoff, Borini, Catermole, M’Villa, Khazari; Defoe
Arsenal started the match on the front foot, as Sunderland stayed deep and only counterattacked their opponents occasionally.
Elneny started in the defensive midfield position for the second game in a row, as Wenger retained the midfield partnership between the Egyptian international and Ramsey.
Despite bossing possession, the visitors failed to break the deadlock before the final whistle, and will return to London with a solitary point.
Arsenal have dropped into fourth place behind Manchester City on goal difference, with 64 points from 35 matches, with fifth-placed Manchester United raring to sneak into the top four before the end of the season.