Senegalese referee Malang Diédhiou has been appointed for the Group D second...
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
- Roma cruise past Sampdoria to reach quarter-finals
- Elmohamady: Uganda’s match is very important
- EXCLUSIVE: Union Española turn down Zamalek bid for Carlos Salom
- Burkina Faso duo Pitroipa, Zongo to miss rest of AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Guinea-Bissau’s Abel Camara: We feel like heroes
- Uganda defender Wasswa: We’re not afraid of Egypt
- Egypt thrash Canada 4-0 in Military World Cup
- Baba Rahman to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Egypt keeper Ahmed El-Shennawy sheds light on AFCON injury
Ashour’s injury puts Shorbagy into the second round
El Shorbagy – who recently won the Grasshopper Cup – was leading the encounter 2-0, before Ashour forfeited due to a recurring hamstring injury that has affected his career over the past three years.
Ashour – who won the El Gouna International a record three times – lost the first two games 12-10, and 11-6, forfeiting the encounter before the third game could start.
El Shorbagy will thus face fellow Egyptian Omar Abdel Meguid in the second round, with the winner meeting either Fares Dessouki or seed no.6 Karim Abdel-Gawad in the quarter-finals.
It is also worth mentioning that this injury will prevent Ramy Ashour, from participating in the Dubai Open.