Egypt have been seeded in pot 3 for the 2017 Africa U-20...
- Egypt seeded third for Africa U-20 Cup of Nations draw
- LIVE: Zamalek vs Mamelodi Sundowns – 2016 CAF Champions League final
- Mosimane: We won’t be relaxed in the final
- Eric Otogo-Castane to referee Egypt-Ghana WC qualifier
- Men’s World Squash Championship draw released
- Hull Tigers Academy prospect Ahmed Salam bags hat-trick in U18 game
- Gaber’s FC Basel battle back to draw against Lugano
- Zamalek manager says back-up keeper Gennesh to start against Sundowns
- Hamoudi: The players did what they had to do, no one held back
- Mido gives outrageous vow if Zamalek win CAF Champions League
VIDEO: Bassem Morsi scores stunner as Zamalek edge Haras
Zamalek defeated Haras El-Hodood 1-0 in a somewhat dull encounter, to edge clear of Ismaily and Smouha in the Egyptian Premier League.
The Whites went into the match knowing that a win was the only option; Bassem Morsi and Shikabala both returned to the starting XI, with Alex McLeish gunning for all three points.
Zamalek XI: Gennesh, Hazem Emam, Ali Gabr, Koffi, Adel Gomaa, Tarek Hamed, Ahmed Tawfik, Moruf Yusuf, Shikabala, Kahraba, Bassem Morsi
Harras XI: Saad, Islam Ramadan, Abou El-Ezz, Gabr, Mubarak, Beckham, Salem, Abdel-Kader, Gamal, Mohamed Abdallah, Benzema
Both teams started the match slowly, despite Bassem Morsi glancing an early header just wide.
Seconds later, however, Bassem latched onto a lobbed pass from Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ to unleash a vicious overhead kick off the crossbar and past a clueless Haras goalkeeper.
The rest of the first half saw no real chances, despite the Whites bossing possession.
Haras started the second period strongly, as they looked to find a way back into the match.
Shikabala claimed the first shot of the second half, but his effort was easily stopped by the goalkeeper.
Haras had no answer to their illustrious opponents with key man Benzema subdued, and the player was eventually subbed off in the 62nd minute.
Moruf Yusuf tried to set up Kahraba in the 70th minute, but the talented winger failed to convert, sending his shot way over the bar.
Mostafa Fathi and Emmanuel Mayuka were thrown on in the final minutes of the match, but both sides were unable to score as the match ended in a 1-0 win for the hosts.
Zamalek now have 45 points from 24 games, trailing leaders Al Ahly by 11 following their win away to Smouha earlier, while Haras remain in the drop zone with a mere nine points.