After losing the Champions League final on aggregate to Mameloudi Sundowns, Zamalek’s...
- Momen Soliman: the best team won and Fathi could leave in January
- Pitso Mosimane targets Zamalek duo ahead of FIFA Club World Cup
- Mortada Mansour: ‘Magic and sorcery’ cost us
- Salah scores and assists in 4-1 win over Palermo
- VIDEO: Zamalek defeat Sundowns in Egypt but lose Champions League final
- Arab Champions League to return next summer in Egypt
- Warda features as Panetolikos lose to Levadiakos
- Egypt seeded third for Africa U-20 Cup of Nations draw
- LIVE: Zamalek vs Mamelodi Sundowns – 2016 CAF Champions League final
- Mosimane: We won’t be relaxed in the final
Elneny: Wenger taught me to shoot intelligently
Elneny joined Arsenal during the 2016 January transfer window from Swiss club FC Basel. The Egyptian midfielder has managed to become a regular in Wenger’s squad after several impressive performances that earned him Arsenal’s Player of the Month award in March.
He has also been nominated for the same award in April, as the 23-year-old has continued to keep his brilliant form for the second month in a row.
Elneny talked in an interview, which was featured in May’s edition of Arsenal Magazine, about the things he learned from Arsene Wenger during the few months he spent at the club.
“I used to shoot a lot when I was at Basel but sometimes that doesn’t suit our style here. [Wenger] taught me to be more of a team player and to be intelligent in terms of when I shoot,” Elneny said.
“I also paid attention to my teammates and took their advice. That has helped me to improve my performances already,” he added.
Since joining Arsenal, Elneny managed to score only one goal for the team. It was during their 3-1 loss against Barcelona in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League round of 16 at the Camp Nou.
Elneny has praised his manager, as he believes that Wenger’s advice has helped him adapt to the team’s style.
“The most important thing for me has been listening to Arsene Wenger’s advice and putting it into action. The manager has been giving me advice since the first day I arrived at the training ground.” he said.
“He always talks to me about the game and my position and that gave me a lot of confidence. He often instructs me to press the opponent and not give them time on the ball in our half. He’s also helped me to understand the system and playing style he prefers to see us playing,” he added.
Elneny also spoke about his ambitions and the dreams he’s looking to achieve with the club next season after the team lost any hope of winning the league title this year.
“If it’s not meant to be this season, we need to work hard and fight to win the title next year,” he said.
“Personally I am here to help Arsenal win trophies. We want to make the fans happy and bring back the golden times,” he concluded.