Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
SQUASH: Nour El-Sherbini faces Laura Massaro in World Final
Egyptian Nour El-Sherbini will face English Laura Massaro in the final of the PSA Women’s Squash World Championship in Bukit Jalil, Malaysia.
World number two Nour El-Sherbini has beaten other Egyptian Nouran Gohar 3-0 in the semi-final stage of the tournament which featured three Egyptians to reach the final of the tournament.
The other Egyptian in the semi-finals was World number three Raneem El-Welily who faced World number one Laura Massaro in a tight match and lost 3-2.
Massaro won the first game comfortably 11-2, but then El-Welily leveled in the second game beating Massaro 11-7. El-Welily nearly took the third game before losing 9-11.
The fourth game featured fantastic efforts from the Egyptian after winning 11-6. The decisive fifth game saw Massaro win it 12-10 after a tightly contested tie-break.
Laura Massaro has talked about El-Welily in post match comments to PSA website saying: “I think Raneem and I aways have battles and she’s such a good player,
“If you don’t play her in exactly the right way then you get severely punished. She played well in patches, I played well in patches and in some ways it’s a fair result. I’ve played a World Championship semi-final on a tie-break against her before so I guess that was going through my mind because, if I had done it before, I knew I could do it again.
It’s worth noting that Massaro faced El-Sherbini in the final of this competition in 2013 and managed to beat her.