An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
SQUASH: Nour El-Sherbini faces Laura Massaro in World Final
Egyptian Nour El-Sherbini will face English Laura Massaro in the final of the PSA Women’s Squash World Championship in Bukit Jalil, Malaysia.
World number two Nour El-Sherbini has beaten other Egyptian Nouran Gohar 3-0 in the semi-final stage of the tournament which featured three Egyptians to reach the final of the tournament.
The other Egyptian in the semi-finals was World number three Raneem El-Welily who faced World number one Laura Massaro in a tight match and lost 3-2.
Massaro won the first game comfortably 11-2, but then El-Welily leveled in the second game beating Massaro 11-7. El-Welily nearly took the third game before losing 9-11.
The fourth game featured fantastic efforts from the Egyptian after winning 11-6. The decisive fifth game saw Massaro win it 12-10 after a tightly contested tie-break.
Laura Massaro has talked about El-Welily in post match comments to PSA website saying: “I think Raneem and I aways have battles and she’s such a good player,
“If you don’t play her in exactly the right way then you get severely punished. She played well in patches, I played well in patches and in some ways it’s a fair result. I’ve played a World Championship semi-final on a tie-break against her before so I guess that was going through my mind because, if I had done it before, I knew I could do it again.
It’s worth noting that Massaro faced El-Sherbini in the final of this competition in 2013 and managed to beat her.