Egypt international Sam Morsy scored as Wigan claimed a 2-1 victory over...
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
Braga knocked out of League Cup after loss to Benfica
Egypt international Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ played the full 90 minutes, as his side’s dreams were crushed at Luz Stadium in Lisbon. The only goal scored by the 23-year-old striker in the competition was during his side’s 4-0 win against Leixões.
Braga had an early advantage as Rafa Silva scored for his side after 19 minutes. Later in the first half, Wilson Eduardo lost a chance to double his side’s lead, for the first half to end 1-0.
As Braga retreated to the midfield in the second half, Benfica came closer to score an equaliser. Two minutes to the one-hour mark, Jonas scored for Benfica to level the scoreline.
Twenty minutes to full time, Raul Jimenez completed Benfica’s comeback as he added the second for his side making it 2-1. Braga failed to alter the scoreline as the game ended in Benfica’s favour.
Koka’s side had qualified to the semi-final after topping Group D on 7 points, while Benfica had secured their spot after collecting the maximum 9 points in Group B.
Benfica will play the final against Marítimo, who defeated Portimonense 3-1 in the semi-final.
Braga’s only hope of salvaging their season lies in the Taça de Portugal. After defeating Rio Ave 1-0 on aggregate, Braga have qualified to encounter FC Porto in the final that is scheduled to be held on May 22.