Al Nasr have sealed promotion to the Egyptian Premier League after securing...
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
Handball: Espérance edge past Zamalek to win African Super Cup
Tunisian side Espérance claimed the African Handball Super Cup title after defeating Zamalek 33-32, in a game that saw repeated protests against refereeing decisions.
The Tunisian team had the upper hand during most of the first half, managing to create a four-goal lead. Zamalek however reduced the deficit to one goal as the first half ended 10-9 in Espérance’s favour.
Espérance stormed back after the break, eventually stretching their lead to four goals again. Zamalek then got themselves into extra time as they made a comeback to tie the score at 26-26.
The White Knights took the lead at the first half of extra time, which ended 30-29 for Zamalek. Espérance refused to throw in the towel as they crept past Zamalek 33-32 at the end of the match, to clinch the title.
The game witnessed a lot of complaints against refereeing. In the dying seconds, the match was halted following protests from Zamalek players and managerial staff over refereeing decisions.
After winning the Super Cup, Espérance secured a spot at the Club World Championship scheduled to be held in Qatar in September.
The White Knights, who won the treble this season, are set to participate in African Handball Cup Winners’ Cup, which will commence in Morocco on Thursday.