Former Zamalek coach, Momen Soliman, showed his dissatisfaction towards describing the 2016 CAF Champions...
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
- Ismaily threatens to forfeit the league
- Elmohamady’s Hull slump to disappointing loss against Middlesbrough
- Manuel Jose: Shikabala’s mentality wasted his talent
- Four Egyptians to play in FA Cup Third Round
Roma thrash Chievo to pile pressure on Napoli
Roma, who are bidding to finish second after a mixed season, knew a win today would put them into second, with Napoli facing a difficult encounter away at Torino.
They got straight into attacking Chievo’s delicate defence, dominating the early stages, with especially Pjanic and Perotti exchanging chances. However, the breakthrough came from another in-form midfielder, Belgian international Radja Nainggolan.
After some decent exchanges between himself and Mohamed Salah, a misplaced pass rebounded of a Chievo defender and Nainggolan reacted fastest to slot home and give Roma a deserved lead.
It wasn’t long before the Giallorossi doubled their lead and it was arguably their most impressive player this season Pjanic who unsurprisingly provided it. After Perotti was fouled outside the box, Pjanic’s free-kick found German defender Rudiger at the far post and he found the net to give Roma a two-goal lead.
The second half saw less entertainment from the home side as they looked to see the game out. Perotti, who again was incredibly consistent throughout the game showed great balance to dribble past two defenders however his snap shot was easily gathered by Chievo keeper Albano Bizzarri.
Mohamed Salah was substituted an hour into his last home game this season. The Egyptian, who enjoyed a brilliant season becoming Roma’s leading goalscorer, was replaced by Francesco Totti who made on Sunday his 600th Serie A appearance.
The Roma legend made sure he capped it in style as five minutes from the finish he threaded a genius through ball to Pjanic who slotted home to give Roma all three points in their last home game.
The win means that Roma now leapfrog Napoli temporarily into second in Serie A. However, Napoli are yet to play and face a tough challenge away at Torino on Monday.