Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Hull City step closer to play-off final with win over Derby
Egyptian right wing-back Ahmed Elmohamady played the full 90 minutes as his side leaped a step closer towards the play-off final.
The second leg is scheduled to take place at the KC Stadium on Tuesday.
Despite continuous pressure from Derby, Hull managed to be productive in front of the goal during the first half, while the hosts failed to cause any threat and had no shots on target.
At the half-hour mark, Abel Hernandez opened the scoring for Hull City after finding Jake Livermore’s pass, to fire a left-footed low shot from outside the penalty box into the bottom right corner of the net.
Five minutes to the break, the guests went 2-0 up, following an own goal by Derby County as Moses Odubajo’s shot was deflected by Jason Shackell into the net.
The Tigers headed down the tunnel with a 2-0 lead at the interval, a very comfortable results for Steve Bruce’s side.
Derby struggled throughout the second half; their attempts to reduce the deficit failed, as Hull City defenders were alert to clear any danger.
Two minutes to full time, Elmohamady missed a chance to score a third for his side, as he broke into the box, but his shot went wide.
In the eighth minute of added time, Hull made it 3-0. Following a poorly executed corner for Derby, the guests launched a counter attack and Andrew Robertson sent the ball into the far corner of the net.
The comfortable win will give the Tigers hope to make an immediate return to the Premier League after being relegated last season.
Sheffield Wednesday defeated Brighton 2-0 in the first leg of the other semi-final. The winners of both semi-finals will face each other in the play-off final at Wembley on May 28.