AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Egypt FA chairman Gamal Allam resigns
The EFA spokesman Azmy Megahed confirmed the departure of Allam, revealing that executive director Tharwat Sweilam will temporarily take over until the new elections.
Reports state that Allam resigned to avoid any sanctions that could be imposed by the FIFA against Egypt over governmental intervention.
FIFA issued last month an official warning to the FA over government intervention in football affairs. The warning came in the light of Egypt’s Supreme Administrative Court ruling to dissolve the FA’s board over election irregularities.
FIFA rules prohibit any government intervention, as articles 13 and 17 of the FIFA statutes oblige member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence from third parties.
The chairman’s resignation comes one day before the date set by the court for the EFA’s legal challenge over the board dissolution ruling.