After losing the Champions League final on aggregate to Mameloudi Sundowns, Zamalek’s...
- Momen Soliman: the best team won and Fathi could leave in January
- Pitso Mosimane targets Zamalek duo ahead of FIFA Club World Cup
- Mortada Mansour: ‘Magic and sorcery’ cost us
- Salah scores and assists in 4-1 win over Palermo
- VIDEO: Zamalek defeat Sundowns in Egypt but lose Champions League final
- Arab Champions League to return next summer in Egypt
- Warda features as Panetolikos lose to Levadiakos
- Egypt seeded third for Africa U-20 Cup of Nations draw
- LIVE: Zamalek vs Mamelodi Sundowns – 2016 CAF Champions League final
- Mosimane: We won’t be relaxed in the final
VIDEO: Egypt beat Rwanda in U20 AFCON qualifier in Kigali
The game remained goalless until the young Pharaohs managed to score the winner in the 50th minute of the match.
Five minutes into the second half, Arab Contractors’ striker Taher Mohamed gave Egypt the lead through a counter-attack. He ran onto a long pass from the defense, went clear and sent the ball past Rwanda’s keeper.
The hosts failed to equalise as the match ended 1-0 for Egypt.
This result gets Egypt a step closer towards reaching the third and final qualifying round, which will be held in July. The Egyptian team will now need to avoid losing in the home match on June 10 to advance in the qualifiers.
Whoever emerges victorious from the encounters will face the winner of the other tie between Angola and Gabon for a spot in the 2017 Africa U-20 Cup of Nations.
The African tournament is scheduled to commence in February 2017. The competition carries great significance as it will decide which four African teams will go to the 2017 U-20 FIFA World Cup in South Korea.
The Egyptian team were scheduled to face Uganda in the second round, before the competition’s organising committee ruled to disqualify Uganda over fielding an ineligible player in their clash against Rwanda during the first round of the qualifying fixtures.
Kenya have also been banned from the competition for fielding over age players against Sudan.