Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger made a round up on the team’s injured...
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
- OFFICIAL: Gabon appoint Jose Camacho as new manager
- Mahmoud Fayez: Salah will be fit in time for AFCON
- SQUASH: Egyptian women take world’s top three spots for first time in history
- SQUASH: Egypt beat USA to reach WWTC semi-finals
- Ahmed Gafaar excluded from Zamalek’s squad against El-Dakhleya
- Salah out for three weeks with an ankle injury
- Wim De Coninck believes Trezeguet must return to Anderlecht
- Egypt features in list of referees for 2017 AFCON
- Anderlecht coach: Trezeguet is developing well away from the spotlight
VIDEO: Egypt beat Rwanda in U20 AFCON qualifier in Kigali
The game remained goalless until the young Pharaohs managed to score the winner in the 50th minute of the match.
Five minutes into the second half, Arab Contractors’ striker Taher Mohamed gave Egypt the lead through a counter-attack. He ran onto a long pass from the defense, went clear and sent the ball past Rwanda’s keeper.
The hosts failed to equalise as the match ended 1-0 for Egypt.
It is also worth noting that Al Ahly player Ramadan Sobhy missed his side’s friendly against Roma in order to take part in Rwanda’s match with the national team.
This result gets Egypt a step closer towards reaching the third and final qualifying round, which will be held in July. The Egyptian team will now need to avoid losing in the home match on June 10 to advance in the qualifiers.
Whoever emerges victorious from the encounters will face the winner of the other tie between Angola and Gabon for a spot in the 2017 Africa U-20 Cup of Nations.
The African tournament is scheduled to commence in February 2017. The competition carries great significance as it will decide which four African teams will go to the 2017 U-20 FIFA World Cup in South Korea.
The Egyptian team were scheduled to face Uganda in the second round, before the competition’s organising committee ruled to disqualify Uganda over fielding an ineligible player in their clash against Rwanda during the first round of the qualifying fixtures.
Kenya have also been banned from the competition for fielding over age players against Sudan.