Desire Oparonozie’s late goal was enough to see the Super Falcons through...
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
- Afriyie: I advice Al-Ahly to sign Ebenezer Assifuah
- Spalletti comments on Salah’s absence ahead of Rome Derby
- Kahraba: Fans are the reason behind my performance
- Inzaghi: Mohamed Salah added value to Roma
- Radja Nainggolan: Salah is an important player
- Egypt’s women beat hosts France to reach World Championship final
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores brace as Ittihad thrash Ettifaq
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
SQUASH: Shorbagy and Welily win first matches in World Series Finals
Out of six Egyptians participating in the World Series Finals in Dubai only Mohamed El Shorbagy and Raneem El Welily won their first matches.
There are a series of World Series tournaments throughout the season to lead up to the Finals which the top eight men and women participate in. The Finals isn’t a knockout tournament, the eight players are divided into two groups and play against each others with the players to earn two points per win.
Shorbagy is first in Group A after beating Mathieu Castagnet 2-0 (11-4, 11-6). Colombian Miguel Rodriguez shares Shorbagy first place as he beat Englishman Nick Matthew.
In Group B Omar Mosaad lost from Australian Cameron Pilley 1-2 (7-11, 11-5, 6-11) to become second in his group and fifth overall.
In the Women’s tournament Welily defeated world champion and world number 1, Nour El Sherbini, 2-0 (12-10, 17-15) in what was most definitely the best match of the first round.
French Camille Serme won 2-0 (11-9, 13-11) against Omney Abdel Kawy while 18-year old Nouran Gohar lost 2-0 to Laura Massaro (7-11, 11-13).
Welily leads her Group B with 2 points while Sherbini and Kawy lie third and fourth. Nouran is third in Group A behind Nicol David and Laura Massaro.