Egypt international Amr Warda has completed his move to Greek side PAOK...
- OFFICIAL: Egypt’s Amr Warda joins PAOK from Panetolikos
- Ghana to use Egypt game as rehearsal for quarterfinals, says Andre Ayew
- Elneny: I want to become an Arsenal legend
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly sign Kilmarnock striker Souleymane Coulibaly
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
New Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka: I know of Elneny
Arsenal’s newest player, Granit Xhaka, explained his rationale for joining the London club, citing the family atmosphere around the Emirates.
Arsenal FC completed the signing of the Swiss midfielder from Borussia Monchengladbach this week. Xhaka is Arsenal’s third most expensive signing ever and will provide stiff competition for Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny.
Xhaka explained his conversations with Swiss teammates and former Arsenal defenders Johan Djourou and Philippe Senderos and their positive statements about the Arsenal convinced him to join the club. “Arsenal is Arsenal; it’s a big club. I’ve said it before; it’s a family. I think that is one point that is important for me,” Xhaka said.
The 23-year-old midfielder also commented on Mohamed Elneny. “I know him by name. I went to Monchengladbach and Elneny came to Basel. My brother plays with him; I know of Elneny from before,” Xhaka explained.
Xhaka played for FC Basel from 2010 to 2012, before leaving for Borussia. Mohamed Elneny joined the Swiss club months later and was seen as a direct replacement for the departed midfielder. Granit’s older brother Taulant Xhaka still plies his trade at Basel. Interestingly, Taulant chose to represent Albania internationally, while Granit elected for Switzerland.