A Sherif Ekramy penalty save in the dying seconds of the match...
- Late Ekramy heroics seal crucial win for Ahly over Maqassa
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
New Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka: I know of Elneny
Arsenal’s newest player, Granit Xhaka, explained his rationale for joining the London club, citing the family atmosphere around the Emirates.
Arsenal FC completed the signing of the Swiss midfielder from Borussia Monchengladbach this week. Xhaka is Arsenal’s third most expensive signing ever and will provide stiff competition for Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny.
Xhaka explained his conversations with Swiss teammates and former Arsenal defenders Johan Djourou and Philippe Senderos and their positive statements about the Arsenal convinced him to join the club. “Arsenal is Arsenal; it’s a big club. I’ve said it before; it’s a family. I think that is one point that is important for me,” Xhaka said.
The 23-year-old midfielder also commented on Mohamed Elneny. “I know him by name. I went to Monchengladbach and Elneny came to Basel. My brother plays with him; I know of Elneny from before,” Xhaka explained.
Xhaka played for FC Basel from 2010 to 2012, before leaving for Borussia. Mohamed Elneny joined the Swiss club months later and was seen as a direct replacement for the departed midfielder. Granit’s older brother Taulant Xhaka still plies his trade at Basel. Interestingly, Taulant chose to represent Albania internationally, while Granit elected for Switzerland.