Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
New Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka: I know of Elneny
Arsenal’s newest player, Granit Xhaka, explained his rationale for joining the London club, citing the family atmosphere around the Emirates.
Arsenal FC completed the signing of the Swiss midfielder from Borussia Monchengladbach this week. Xhaka is Arsenal’s third most expensive signing ever and will provide stiff competition for Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny.
Xhaka explained his conversations with Swiss teammates and former Arsenal defenders Johan Djourou and Philippe Senderos and their positive statements about the Arsenal convinced him to join the club. “Arsenal is Arsenal; it’s a big club. I’ve said it before; it’s a family. I think that is one point that is important for me,” Xhaka said.
The 23-year-old midfielder also commented on Mohamed Elneny. “I know him by name. I went to Monchengladbach and Elneny came to Basel. My brother plays with him; I know of Elneny from before,” Xhaka explained.
Xhaka played for FC Basel from 2010 to 2012, before leaving for Borussia. Mohamed Elneny joined the Swiss club months later and was seen as a direct replacement for the departed midfielder. Granit’s older brother Taulant Xhaka still plies his trade at Basel. Interestingly, Taulant chose to represent Albania internationally, while Granit elected for Switzerland.