Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Al Ahli’s new manager: Abdel-Shafy is the best LB in the league
Former manager Christian Gross, who achieved the domestic double with Al Ahli for the first time in Saudi history, resigned due to personal reasons and shortlisted Gomes as a possible replacement.
Gomes led Al-Taawoun to a fourth place finish in the Saudi Professional League, behind Al Ahli, Ittihad Jeddah , and Al-Hilal.
“There are great foreign players in our squad,” he said, before adding, “Abdel-Shafy was the best left-back in the Saudi Arabian League last season.”
“Al Ahli is the league and King’s cup champion and that will make my job difficult, because the fans will expect similar achievements,” said Gomes.
“We will work hard in preparation for next season to try our best to retain both titles,” he promised.
The 30-year-old made his last appearance of the 2015-2016 season with Al Ahli in the King’s Cup final against Al-Nassr, before joining the Egypt national team camp ahead of the match against Tanzania.