Argentina and Barcelona legend Lionel Messi is set to visit Egypt on...
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
- AS Roma star Mohamed Salah: I’m happy to be back
- Talaat Youssef leads Al-Ahli Tripoli to CAF Champions League round of 32
- Egypt opponents Mali announce U-20 AFCON squad
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
Elneny: Egypt will dominate Africa again
The Egyptian national team secured a spot in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon after beating Tanzania 2-0 away in the fifth round of the qualifiers on Saturday.
“I am very proud of the Egyptian national team today. I congratulate the technical staff, the players and the fans,” the Arsenal midfielder said in a televised interview.
The win sees Egypt return to the African Cup of Nations for the first time since 2010, the last of their three-tournament winning streak.
“I feel happy that we finally reached the African Cup of Nations after failing to qualify for the past three tournaments. We deserved to qualify.
“People can feel that we have a strong national team that will dominate Africa again,” he added.
The 23-year-old praised his fellow teammates for their performance in the game, and spoke about the Pharaohs’ goals in the upcoming period.
“The Egyptian team have young players who can play under any circumstances.
“It is our dream to reach the World Cup and hopefully we’ll achieve it,” he concluded.