Egypt international Mohamed Abdel-Shafy played the full 90 minutes as Al Ahli...
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli edge Al Raed
- Al Masry see off Petrojet to continue winning streak
- Patrick Malo: Burkina Faso a good team, I am fine at Smouha
- Klopp confirms Joel Matip will not be going to AFCON
- FIFA announces bans on various African football officials
- Trezeguet’s Royal Mouscron appoint Mircea Rednic as manager
- Yannick Bolasie sidelined for a year after suffering knee injury
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
Elneny: Egypt will dominate Africa again
The Egyptian national team secured a spot in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon after beating Tanzania 2-0 away in the fifth round of the qualifiers on Saturday.
“I am very proud of the Egyptian national team today. I congratulate the technical staff, the players and the fans,” the Arsenal midfielder said in a televised interview.
The win sees Egypt return to the African Cup of Nations for the first time since 2010, the last of their three-tournament winning streak.
“I feel happy that we finally reached the African Cup of Nations after failing to qualify for the past three tournaments. We deserved to qualify.
“People can feel that we have a strong national team that will dominate Africa again,” he added.
The 23-year-old praised his fellow teammates for their performance in the game, and spoke about the Pharaohs’ goals in the upcoming period.
“The Egyptian team have young players who can play under any circumstances.
“It is our dream to reach the World Cup and hopefully we’ll achieve it,” he concluded.