KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Egypt FA board resign following win over Tanzania
The Egyptian Football Association’s (EFA) board submitted their resignation one day after the Pharaohs secured their spot in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
The board’s resignation comes two weeks after FA president Gamal Allam resigned from his position after FIFA warned that Egypt could be suspended from international football over government intervention in football affairs.
The resignation letter sent by EFA board member Magdy El-Metnawy on behalf of the board revealed that the reason behind their decision was to “protect the country from FIFA sanctions”.
FIFA issued last month an official warning to the FA over government intervention in football affairs. The warning came in the light of Egypt’s Supreme Administrative Court ruling to dissolve the EFA board over election irregularities.
In the resignation letter, the EFA stressed out a number of their achievements, including the Pharaohs reaching the AFCON for the first time in seven years, the Egyptian Futsal team booking a berth at the World Cup and the women team reaching their maiden AFCON tournament.