The Windy City Open 2017, which will kick off on Thursday in...
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
- Warda voted Man of The Match in PAOK’s win over Veria
- Ahmed Nagy: El-Hadary will go to the World Cup
VIDEO: Egypt eliminates Rwanda in U20 AFCON qualifiers
Having won the first-leg in Rwanda thanks to a goal from Taher Mohamed, the Pharaohs would’ve secured a spot in the next round with just a goalless draw.
The Egyptian team controlled more than 60% of ball possession and had several shots on the Rwandan goal, but was unlucky in taking the lead. In the 85th minute, a howler from Egypt’s goalkeeper and a failed clearance from the defense helped Rwanda score a goal that was enough to secure a penalty shootout.
Al Ahly player Ramadan Sobhy took part in the game despite playing 45 minutes with his team less than 24 hours before the U20 qualifier kicked-off.
The first two Rwandan penalty kick-takers had their shots saved by Egypt’s goalkeeper, followed by two successful penalty kicks, and then a miss. On the other hand, the Pharaohs missed just two penalty kick and Sobhy scored the final penalty kick that won Egypt the match.
Egypt will face the winner between Angola and Gabon to determine the 2017 U20 AFCON finalists, from which the final four teams will automatically progress to the 2017 U-20 World Cup in South Korea.