Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Al Ahly request venue change for CAF Champions League games
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) have previously announced the dates and venues of the 2016 CAF Champions League group stage matches, with the Alexandria-based Borg El-Arab Stadium being announced as Al Ahly’s home ground.
Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher asked for the consent of the ministry of interior to hold the team’s home CAF Champions League matches at Cairo Stadium in order to “make it easier for the fans who wish to attend the games”.
The request was initially welcomed by the ministry of interior, according to Al Ahly official website.
The record eight-time CAF Champions League winners are scheduled to kick-off their group A matches with an away game against Zesco United of Zambia on June 18, while their first home match will be against Ivorian ASEC Mimosas on June 28.
Egypt’s other representative in Africa’s top-tier competition Zamalek will play their home games at Petrosport Stadium, according to CAF.
Since the 2012 Port Said disaster, Al Ahly and Zamalek have been playing most of their home matches at Petrosport Stadium and Borg El-Arab Stadium.