Ghana FA vice president George Afriyie is pleased that Andre Ayew...
- INTERVIEW | Ahmad Fahmy – Fantasy Premier League’s current number one overall
- Ghana FA vice president announces readiness of Ayew and Asamoah for Egypt clash
- Mouscron coach: Trezeguet most talented player in our team
- Fabio Petruzzi: Salah added value to Roma
- Ghana’s David Accam confident of beating Egypt
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
Al Ahly request venue change for CAF Champions League games
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) have previously announced the dates and venues of the 2016 CAF Champions League group stage matches, with the Alexandria-based Borg El-Arab Stadium being announced as Al Ahly’s home ground.
Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher asked for the consent of the ministry of interior to hold the team’s home CAF Champions League matches at Cairo Stadium in order to “make it easier for the fans who wish to attend the games”.
The request was initially welcomed by the ministry of interior, according to Al Ahly official website.
The record eight-time CAF Champions League winners are scheduled to kick-off their group A matches with an away game against Zesco United of Zambia on June 18, while their first home match will be against Ivorian ASEC Mimosas on June 28.
Egypt’s other representative in Africa’s top-tier competition Zamalek will play their home games at Petrosport Stadium, according to CAF.
Since the 2012 Port Said disaster, Al Ahly and Zamalek have been playing most of their home matches at Petrosport Stadium and Borg El-Arab Stadium.